advertisement

Wool coats that smell

Cloth-Ears

pfm Member
You know those wool ( I presume ) coats that, when they are even a bit wet, they absolutely stink.

Why do people choose them ? Is it a particular type of wool involved, maybe something very cheap ? I am baffled.

I mean, if I had a coat that made people think I had stepped on dogs dirt, I would stop wearing it. Yet a lot of people buy them.

Why is it, that so many people don't mind smelling of excretia ?

"Your coat stinks of shit" is an insult I have only ever directed at canines. Maybe you are olfractorily over endowed?

Well I normally do insult dogs - indeed I consider it my duty as a cat.

But I can't understand why people would want to emulate them, or at best seem to have stepped on one of their eggs.

It's a middle class thing. We peasants can only afford polyester.

But then we all stink of underarms and get insulted by cats, dogs and other humans.

People in the UK don't dry clan their coats enough. Wool when dyed uses a lot of chemicals to strip the odours from the lanolin and it is a caustic and nasty process. But removing the Lanonln means it is prone to picking up odours.

Steam cleaning a wool coat with tea tree oil and lavender and perhaps some cypress oil is a good interim measure and a wool coat could should be dry cleaned at least four times a year. Mothballs often contribute to the musty smell that people associate with wool and modern dry cleaning is usually plenty good enough.

I just last week picked up a lovely Elizabeth Karrueche plum/aubergene/purple oversized wool coat originally ticketed as $1029 for $29 on the clearance rail at Nordstrom Rack. As I was standing next to the coats, it was wheeled out. Nabbed it there and then. I actually got quite feral as other wowen were eyeing it as I held it... A girl has to love a bargain. But yes Wool needs cleaning, its by far the best material for England for warmth -- but is harder to maintain.

aha found my swag

13227211_1586976108299380_6896043125940883599_n.jpg

Unsure why sharing, just seemed appropriate... I was victorious in my battle for supreme bargain swagness = proud.

Wool coats are for keeping warm rather than dry, so I guess the mistake is going out in wet weather wearing one. A bit like putting a cat into a bath -- what a stink that causes! :eek:

Old people frequently have clothing that smells of damp biscuits I've noticed recently. Tight with the central heating and like wearing heirlooms.

People in the UK don't dry clan their coats enough. Wool when dyed uses a lot of chemicals to strip the odours from the lanolin and it is a caustic and nasty process. But removing the Lanonln means it is prone to picking up odours.

Steam cleaning a wool coat with tea tree oil and lavender and perhaps some cypress oil is a good interim measure and a wool coat could should be dry cleaned at least four times a year. Mothballs often contribute to the musty smell that people associate with wool and modern dry cleaning is usually plenty good enough.

All good advice, but you have to be careful with dry cleaning, since it's very easy to knock the shape out of a coat if not done well. I'd personally hold off dry cleaning that often, and would go for steam as the most common cleaning method unless you are trying to shift some actual muck.

A good wool coat will easily deal with a bit of a shower and will stay warm when wet.
What it willl smell like is another matter.

All good advice, but you have to be careful with dry cleaning, since it's very easy to knock the shape out of a coat if not done well. I'd personally hold off dry cleaning that often, and would go for steam as the most common cleaning method unless you are trying to shift some actual muck.

oh yeah I forget the uk still do drum style dry cleaning. I was thinking the flat dry cleaning systems you get that work like steam presses.

A clothes cleaning steamer is something Ellie and I are going to get as we both have sizeable dress collections developing. I think I have bought easily about 25 dresses on my trip to the USA and these are in the $115-$149 region new heavily discounted to $20-$49

Reminds me of one of my favourite joke.

What's 20 yards long and stinks of piss? The pension queue in the post office.

advertisement

Back