advertisement

Woodstock - 38 cd box set.

Haven't seen him talked about. However even the current Rolling Stone article about the box set is limited in its scope. A few things are clear: it has taken 14 years to get the whole thing together, every act is included - so he must be there - and for nearly all of them it is their full set.

People like Creedence didn't feature on the first Woodstock album at all. Fogerty opted out because the band played at midnight after the Dead and the crowd were flaked. Their set is included in the box set and he admits it is pretty good. So is Janis Joplin's apparently.

You might not have been able to trust a hippie, but some of their music was great.

Jack
Too true. Having good quality copies of the sets by ISB, Creedence and Country Joe would be pretty awesome.

People like Creedence didn't feature on the first Woodstock album at all. Fogerty opted out because the band played at midnight after the Dead and the crowd were flaked. Their set is included in the box set and he admits it is pretty good. So is Janis Joplin's apparently.

The Joplin set was available as a Record Store Day release and is good.

As someone with only a cursory knowledge of Woodstock, I hadn’t even appreciated that Tim Hardin, The Band and CCR had played. Odd how this discovery, fifty years on, has caused me to reframe my entire perception of the event.

Very much looking forward to hearing their contributions, as well as the full Sly set.

As someone with only a cursory knowledge of Woodstock, I hadn’t even appreciated that Tim Hardin, The Band and CCR had played. Odd how this discovery, fifty years on, has caused me to reframe my entire perception of the event.

I am with you on this, add to that Johnny Winter and acts like Quill, Sweetwater and Bert Sommer who I had never heard of.

There is a full artist/track listing in post #553 on the Hoffman thread.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rhino-to-issue-massive-woodstock-1969-box-set.837999/page-23

I had no idea the backing band for Tim Hardin contained what would be half of Oregon a year later:

Disc 4
TIM HARDIN
Featuring/TIM HARDIN: vocals, guitar • RICHARD BOCK: cello • RALPH TOWNER: guitar, piano • GILLES MALKINE: guitar GLEN MOORE: bass • STEVE “MURUGA” BOOKER: drums

I am with you on this, add to that Johnny Winter and acts like Quill, Sweetwater and Bert Sommer who I had never heard of.

There is a full artist/track listing in post #553 on the Hoffman thread.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rhino-to-issue-massive-woodstock-1969-box-set.837999/page-23

I had no idea the backing band for Tim Hardin contained what would be half of Oregon a year later:

Disc 4
TIM HARDIN
Featuring/TIM HARDIN: vocals, guitar • RICHARD BOCK: cello • RALPH TOWNER: guitar, piano • GILLES MALKINE: guitar GLEN MOORE: bass • STEVE “MURUGA” BOOKER: drums
I discovered this few weeks ago when searching for late Hardin stuff. Ralph Towner playing at Woodstock is up there with half of Throbbing Gristle appearing on a UFO album cover and Jim 'Foetus' Thirlwell appearing on top of the pops with Orange juice as one of pop music's more unlikely occurences.

advertisement

Back