advertisement

Woodstock - 38 cd box set.

Saw this and thought the 38 CD set was a little bit OTT (to say the least) - even 10 cd’s is probably pushing it a bit!

624 Quid for the box set. Mmm, I might give it a miss. Who the hell would want a Woodstock guitar strap?

Jack

The entirety of the Woodstock recordings should be online as a public service, for historians, nostalgia dippers and the few who would like to run the whole thing in real time over a bank holiday weekend. Make it £10 and I'm in. Don't want irrelevant physical replica artefacts.

Perhaps the big box will appear on Apple Music.....

This is where Junodownload’s mysterious policy of pricing lossless box set downloads at £12.49 could help us. They only have the original soundtrack listed (for £12.49) currently.

Having read up a bit, there are some potentially interesting things in the box set. It came about because the compiler found a lot of one-inch 8-track recordings of the Festival in an Atlantic vault. They had never been used.

Each band gets its own disc documenting its full set, from The Who and Sly to Jimi Hendrix, although the latter has two songs missing which his family didn't think were up to scratch.

There are also quite a few additions like The Band and Grateful Dead. The latter were incredibly out of it, according to Jerry Garcia, and played a really bad set. There were 100 people onstage and it rained. The band were getting electrical shocks off the equipment and were worried that the stage would collapse.

I am listening online now to old clips of their their set. They do sound somewhat ferked.

Jack

Last edited:
The thought of a 30 plus box set fills me with the dread, the looming oppression of it just sitting there, forcing you to plough through it given the hefty investment...

Is there a set by Tim Hardin in there? He's totally wasted in his cameo in the film.

Haven't seen him talked about. However even the current Rolling Stone article about the box set is limited in its scope. A few things are clear: it has taken 14 years to get the whole thing together, every act is included - so he must be there - and for nearly all of them it is their full set.

People like Creedence didn't feature on the first Woodstock album at all. Fogerty opted out because the band played at midnight after the Dead and the crowd were flaked. Their set is included in the box set and he admits it is pretty good. So is Janis Joplin's apparently.

You might not have been able to trust a hippie, but some of their music was great.

Jack

advertisement

Back