advertisement

Woodsmen! Anyone build me Ergo IX cabinets?

Uzinusa

Happy Chappy
Would any of you with wood working skills be prepared to build me a pair of cabinets for James's Ergo IX speakers? I don't have the skills, but can do the crossovers etc and finish the job. I'm based in Nottingham for what that's worth.

Cheers,
Andy

I'm always asking you to help me out Pete. I was trying not to dump more work on your very very capable hands/time/life :)
Best as always,
Andy

PS: If you fancy it there's a bunch of us going to the Josh Rouse gig at the Glee Club on 25th Jan.

Hi, Andy

In a gap at the moment between settee rebuild and new worktops.

Josh Roust looks interesting but its a school night, I will let you know.

Pete

Replacements for the Arcs? Which incidentally, are sounding great in their new home :)

grrrrrrr :)

Glad you like them. I did too Ian.

Yes, a replacement for the arcs. My new philosophy is that rather than trying to create the scale of the Arcs, I'd get a lovely little infinite baffle monitor and enjoy all that it can do so well.

Best wishes,
Andy

The E-IXs do scale surprising well. If I was closer, I'd offer to build them for you. There are 3 baffle variants.

Offset tweeter naked
Centralised tweeter naked
Centralised tweeter grilled

Thankfully, they don't need different XO other than wall-mount or free-space variants. For the UK, wall-mount is strongly recommended.

Good luck with the build.

James

Yeah, no problems Andy. I promised someone (via PM) that I'd publish the E-IX build specifications over the Christmas break. Unfortunately, I ran out of time having way too much fun. I'll try again real soon, and ask TonyL to make it a sticky.

James

What size/configuration is the E-IX? And approx component cost?
Always fancied building some proper speakers. :)

Sam

The E-IX measures 12" in height, 7.5" in width and 10" in depth. It's a 2-way sealed box of roughly 9L, and can be configured for wall-mount or free-space location. The cost depends entirely on how much you value labour and timber of choice, but the component costs are around US$700 for the pair. The most expensive part is the Scan-speak 15W8530K01.

This pair was built for Jeff A in the US.

9343877-lg.jpg

James

Free labour, its a hobby.

Any preference on timber? I like the look of oak but if there are good reasons to use one wood over another them thats a factor that has to be considered.

Thanks,
Sam

Free labour, its a hobby.

Any preference on timber? I like the look of oak but if there are good reasons to use one wood over another them thats a factor that has to be considered.

Thanks,
Sam

The timber should be stiff, dense and kiln-dried. Oak is fine, as are American Black Walnut, American Cherry, Sapele, Maple and other furniture-grade hardwood timbers.

They look lovely! Want to see if I can get a discount on drivers when buying multiples Sam?
May save a few quid.
Andy

They look lovely! Want to see if I can get a discount on drivers when buying multiples Sam?
May save a few quid.
Andy

Sounds good to me. See if there are any price break points and we might be able to do a little group buy on here..

Sam

I am a bit interested but would really like small floor standers. Stupid question but could the box just be made taller? same width and depth but about 800 high? I know I could just divide it in 2 and have an empty box below but .......

I am a bit interested but would really like small floor standers. Stupid question but could the box just be made taller? same width and depth but about 800 high? I know I could just divide it in 2 and have an empty box below but .......
Theoretically, yes. Practically, untested. The E-IX works best on light, rigid stands. The Epos ES11 stand is almost a perfect fit. Extending the timber could add all sorts of coloration, and filling the void with mass could kill musical vitality.

James

Just don't like stands - cost lots, look ugly, top heavy. Stands only hold the box up in the air so why not use the space usefully? Wood looks nicer than Mecanno

Having said all that I would have a go (probably) with a cheap construction taller cabinet as a first try. I have made speakers before including concrete lined!

advertisement

Back