advertisement

Wood cabinets from Leak Stereofetic and Leak Stereo 70: worth anything?

Rosewind

Lost in Translation
Would original Leak Wood cabinets be worth anything on their own?
Leak Stereo 70 and Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner.
Just wondering if they are easier to sell than the whole units. They are easier to ship, certainly.

Out of curiosity, are you discussing the type of 'single' wooden sleeve which can house either a Stereo 70 or a Stereofetic, or is it a 'double' type to house both units, similar to those used to house the Quad 33/FM3?
When I was searching for a sleeve to house my refurbished Stereofetic, I had to make a return road trip from Torquay to Truro, to collect a really dirty and 'unloved' Stereofetic, which I had purchased via 'e-pay', however, it was complete with a sleeve and the 'fixing' wingnut.
Much later, I noticed that on the 'Layers of Beauty' website, there was and still is, an image showing a 'replacement' sleeve for a Troughline, which I assume is of similar dimensions, and can presumably be made to order in a veneer of your choice.
If I'd have known that at the time, it would have been less stressful and more cost effective to order one, given that the sleeve that I collected certainly wasn't in pristine condition. Plus, I now have yet another piece of 'junk' (according to S.W.M.B.O.) which I can't quite bring myself to scrap.

Merry Christmas

Mike Kelshaw

Yet another 'Senior Moment',
I meant to add in my previous post, that I wish I could have found a suitable original sleeve to purchase at the time I was searching, and therefore I would assume that the sleeve or sleeves in question would be sought after.

Best Wishes for the New Year

Mike Kelshaw

Hi Mike.
Yes, they are the original individual sleeves. I thought that perhaps I could sell them and keep the Stereo 70 and STEREOFETIC Tuner. I have tried to sell the set but people expect them to be sold for peanuts as they will not sound as good as 70s stuff. They still like them for the way the look.
Thanks for the reply.

Ah I'd assumed this was about the wooden housing for two units together... They do look good in it, Stereofetic and Stereo 70 in mine but they will take other units I believe, such as a Troughline and Stereo 30 or 70.

They are seventies stuff in as much as they came out late 60's and were sold mainly in the 70's and I would put the Stereofetic against most other tuners of the time no problem. Quad FM3 for example. It's a good tuner. The Stereo 70 amp less of a performer I guess but still pretty much "par for the course" in the early 70's but overtaken by the later 70's...

advertisement

Back