advertisement

Woo hoo - just bought my first DSLR

rbrown

I think therefore I think I am
I've been quietly following these photo pages for ages and there are some fantastic images here so I have been inspired to have a go myself. I have bought a second hand Nikon D80 which arrives tomorrow. It comes with an 18-135 kit lens. The lens seems to have pretty mixed reactions on photo forums but I guess it will good enough as a starting point. Is anyone familiar with it?

I will look into photography courses at our local college, has anyone gone down this route or are you self taught?

Anyway can't wait til tomorrow.

Cheers,

Rich

Cheers Lefty, I must admit I have never picked one up, just purely went on the reviews. Anyway, looking forward to joining in!

Rich

Congratulations, i bought my first DSLR today too!
Canon 400D for me, second hand witha pair of Canon zooms to boot cant wait to get out & about :)

Paul

Hi Rich,

Your D80 is a good solid choice and don't be too down on the lens - a kit lens is meant to be a compromise. My brother's got a D80 and I've a D90, so the odd time we head away something we can share lenses which is a bonus.
If you're going to do a course then do it early - otherwise if you leave it 6-12months you'll struggle to find one that isn't either too advanced or too basic.

Rob

I only started with a DSLR a year or so back and I still have to think hard and refer to the manual for some (OK.. a lot of ) things, but you'll soon pick up the basics. FWIW, I usually stick with aperture priority and go from there, but what would I know?
I'm a bit of a fan on Tom Ang's books, which can often be picked up in offices subject to 'Book People' type drops. My latest is 'Digital Photography Masterclass' ( ISBN 978-1-8561-3131-5), which seems to deal with most things, though I haven't reall read it properly yet. Might save the cost and time involved in a course, though I'm also sure a course could be a very enjoyable thing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement fellas. Can't wait for the weekend when I can spend some time with it during daylight hours. No doubt I'll be taking a lot of rubbish for a while but I'll post up anything I reckon is any good in the PAW thread.

Rich

Rich, quite a few of us on here take cameras to/from work and take snaps on the journey. Lunchtime can also be productive (better than eating salad from a tupperware box at your desk IME).

You could even stick them on flickr as a set (eg) and let other people comment on them as a way to improve.

cheers
Cliff

Just booked a course with the local college, £60 for 10 weeks, Introduction to digital photograpy, also covers the P.C side of things as well.

That sounds good, I'm going to look into this too. Congrats on your new camera too btw.

Cheers,

Rich

advertisement

Back