advertisement

Womens Football Worldcup.

Amazingly, regarding the very, very silly VAR, and despite my personal opinion that VAR will continue to control all aspects of football until it becomes bland and tedious and we all take up tiddlywinks (or is that now a non-contact sport???!) the BBC published this article yesterday:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48723902
effectively saying that the Rule on Encroachment is suspended and adding "In explaining their decision to approve the request, IFAB accepted that the presence of VARs greatly increases the likelihood of any offence being detected and, as goalkeepers are likely to face a number of kicks during a shootout, there is a higher risk that a goalkeeper will be sent off for receiving a second caution if already cautioned in normal time."
So, they can change laws to suit their purpose. Its farcical.
I have enjoyed the football so far but VAR (I know it has its support out there, I don't want to debate VAR because I am not for turning, end of!) has spoilt the whole tournament for me personally. I was finished with VAR after the France/Norway game when the penalty was awarded for France. That was the worst decision I have ever seen....and it isn't improving...its getting worse.
If accuracy of decision making is a bad thing, you won't have many sports left to enjoy....

oh was the GKs hands holding the ball? Not entirely convinced that was the correct outcome

Enjoyed the game. I didn't enjoy the 'nastiness' from Cameroon which was not acceptable at any level, but I'd agree with the commentators that the refereeing was weak. At some points I was just shouting at the telly for the Ref to lead England off the pitch and declare them winners by default. I know.. not really etc..but Refs need an ultimate sanction if a whole team is refusing to accept both Ref and VAR decisions and just spittng their dummy out.

Mostly I'm enjoying watching the England ladies playing with skill and intelligence. They have clearly showed up the desperate failings of many England Men's teams in recent decades, but from this footie ignoramus'' p.o.v., they need to be more careful to keep posession.

Spot on , every game they give the ball away numerous times , they have got away with it so far , so we need to stay lucky .

Exactly, there have been periods in all England games so far where the passing has been woeful.
France v Brazil last night was a of a quality beyond what England have produced so far. Having enjoyed some generous VAR decisions in previous games it was ironic that France were denied what looked a perfectly valid goal. France vs USA should be a top game later this week.

Attempted to watch various games, seen the appalling passing and have switched off.

Having said that, the France vs Brazil game last night was a step up, so I might tune into the Final.

Jack

Yes France v Brazil was worryingly good for England , the passing and movement was sharp and accurate .

England passing has been awful every game I watched.

In yesterday's game it seemed particularly evident that almost every time Nikita Parris got the ball she passed it straight an opposition player.

Can't see us getting much further than this.

These penalty decisions are getting tedious , 2 for USA both soft the second one I'd have booked the player for diving .

Netherlands V Japan was a great game of football - For me best of the tournament so far

Yes it was , brilliant , really exciting , I thought Japan were going to be steamrolled by the physical Dutch side but there skill shone through and if it wasn't for another bloody penalty which smacked the Japan girl's arm , how was she to avoid that ? Ah well I'm sure the Dutch will stand up to the German's a bit better that Japan may have done .

Yes it was , brilliant , really exciting , I thought Japan were going to be steamrolled by the physical Dutch side but there skill shone through and if it wasn't for another bloody penalty which smacked the Japan girl's arm , how was she to avoid that ? Ah well I'm sure the Dutch will stand up to the German's a bit better that Japan may have done .
Football can be so cruel, felt so sorry for the Japanese, their football was top drawer. I also felt for the Spanish against the US, I thought it was daylight robbery.
Did everyone see Marta's interview after the unfortunate French defeat:
Inspiring. I admit I got a little emotional myself!

Reactions: BJP

advertisement

Back