advertisement

With knobs on

Pete MB&D

Pete Maddex, the one and only!
Hi Chaps

I finally decided to get the lathe out of the shed clean it up and make some new knobs for my spokeshave.
I was given this lathe, its missing its change gears unfortunately.
It needed a start capacitor to get it going and a good clean up.

Axminister BV20M by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

This is the spokeshave with some Ebay knobs.

Rosewood spokeshave by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

And here it is with the ones I made.

Rosewood spokeshave by Pete Maddex, on Flickr

Did a bit of messing round making shavings, facing off bits of bar modifying the vacuum take-off adaptors for my carburettor balancer etc.

Pete

I'm very jealous of your lathe. I've promised myself one when I eventually get around to having our garage extended.

Nice work! Axminster should still have change wheels and if not Ebay may save you. Always worth having a full set. If you can, get yourself a vertical slide and mini vice, then you can do light milling jobs too. I’m a keen turner, absolutely love making bits and bobs. Currently making myself a lightsaber to go on show in my display cabinet. Nerd!!

It made a carpet of swarf!

I can’t find out much about the BV20M on line it’s made in China and rebadged for various company’s, the change gears don’t seem to be available.

Working light saber?

Pete

I learned turning on a big Bridgeport as part of my apprenticeship. The equivalent of a dunces cap was to be given the spring loaded Chuck key. I remember the thud it made as it hit the back of the coolant tray. One poor lad saw it take a chunk out of the bed.

I can’t find out much about the BV20M on line it’s made in China and rebadged for various company’s, the change gears don’t seem to be available.

Working light saber?

Pete

Sadly not, my knowledge of lasers is somewhat lacking. I’m going to make another with LEDs next though.

You could convert to 3phase with an inverter, at least that way you’d have a full range of speeds. Just the thread cutting won’t be possible. Real shame about the gears, is so satisfying cutting threads manually.

Another ex apprentice here too, learnt all sorts of machining in my youth and although I don’t do it in work anymore the garage is all tooled up. Great fun!

Working light saber?

Pete
A change gear is fully specified by bore and "gear modulus". It is VERY likely that your lathe uses fairly standard change gears, your only task is to find out which ones.

I'll see if I can help.

BugBear

If you have ANY gear-train driving the lead screw, we can likely measure (somehow) them to get a spec

Do you have such gears? I'm guessing "yes" or you wouldn't even have self feed.

BugBear

It has some the feed works and seem to take a nice fine cut,I am going to contact Axminster and see if they can help, I am guessing not.

Pete

I am tentatively sure that all semi-recent change gears for small lathes (e.g. 9x20) are Module 1, 20 degree pressure angle.

BugBear

advertisement

Back