advertisement

Witch Hat Naim NAC82 "Superlink" Upgrade

I'm interested in this for my NAC72. However since I've moved to Ryan Sound Labs cards equivalent to the NA321 and 729, and pulled out all the others except (i think) the relay, would i be able to get the benefit of multiple rails?

Jim

Relay card aside it sounds like you're using only 4 cards, so only 4 rails would be needed. I think the law of diminishing returns would kick in here.
So in this application (2) Hi-Caps should do the same job as 4 rails of a SC.

I think your interest in the nac82 ?

The previous remarks are in relation to the nac72

A different beast

Jimbot 2.0 asked if he could benefit from the multiple rails a SC provides for his 72, and yes, Jimbot could use (4) rails of a SC in his application but it may be overkill to use a SC to do this considering the cost and the (6) extra rails of the SC going to waste.

But you could get (4) independent rails from (2) Hi-Caps to power Jimbot's (4) cards -one rail for each card he's using- in his 72 with some modification.

And I understand this is an old post FWIW.

I had the Link82 mod carried out by WHA on my NAC282 when I sent it in for a service, also my supercap had the Newt mod carried out. Both items were sent back to me with connection instructions and interconnects. The upgrade in sound quality was immense, greater clarity, sound stage, imaging and the Naim sound was not affected. I compared the sound of a friends NAC252 to my modded NAC282 and the difference in SQ was surprising, The 252 sounded less immediate with the presentation of the music, don't get me wrong the 252 is no slouch, it sounds great, but it didn't get my foot tapping. It's a very subjective issue, as what i like to hear from a HiFi might not be somebodies cup of tea. The most important thing to come out of this comparison was the tears and disbelief that my friends 252 didn't please him as much as my modded 282. I can highly recommend what the guys at WHA for what they know and do, I've used them for other bits and pieces and never been disappointed.
Hi….can I ask what the Newt mod is on the SC, did which hat do this and was it expensive?
Thanks
Chris

I had the NEWT regulator fitted to the two SNAPS PSUs in my old bolt Naim setup. Very happy with the results. The whole system was serviced at the same so can't comment on individual improvement the NEWTs made.

The NEWT was WH's take on the tracking pre-regulator. Talk to them about their DR replacement, the Dragon NEWT.

I don’t suppose there is enough room in a HCDR for WH to put 2 Dragon Newt boards in and replace a 4 pin DIN with a 5 pin, Thereby creating a dual HCDR?

So why didn't Naim do that in the 1st place?
I find that these "improvements" sound different, sometimes, but not always better

Yes, not always better. Witchhat took my 180 in for a service a few years back and put some new "Pheonix Boards" in it for me. The amp was unlistenable when I got it back - so bright and edgy it tore your ears off. I sent it back for the old boards to be put back in.

Just pulled the trigger on the superlink mod for my 282. It will be away at Witch bay next week. I’m currently using a HCDR, so won’t here the improvements till I get either a naim Supercap or @teddy_ pardo supercap. Leaning towards a Teddy supercap at the moment, with the sale of the HCDR funding the majority of it

My 282 has been away for a couple of weeks now. Hope to get it back in the next week or so. I have been keeping an eye on the price of a new TP supercap and have noticed it’s increased in price by £200 in the last fortnight. Not sure if I should get my order in now, or wait and see if the prices come down again

My 282 has been away for a couple of weeks now. Hope to get it back in the next week or so. I have been keeping an eye on the price of a new TP supercap and have noticed it’s increased in price by £200 in the last fortnight. Not sure if I should get my order in now, or wait and see if the prices come down again

I think Teddy Pardo had an Easter Sale which lasted a few weeks.

advertisement

Back