advertisement

Wireless speaker for Kitchen

IKEA and Sonos are doing a collaboration in April and looks like it will feature a speaker designed for kitchens. Imagine it will be a cheaper and perhaps more versatile with placement then a regular Sonos speaker

We are in danger of over thinking this, it is a speaker for the kitchen. Sonos works, has a good resale value if you decide to change it further down the line & they keep updating the compatability unlike, say, apple who don't.

I’ve got a Muo for radio and Spotify in the kitchen, really pleased with it. Only down side having to hunt for it in the kids bedrooms when they ‘borrow’ it.

Cheers BB

We are in danger of over thinking this, it is a speaker for the kitchen. Sonos works, has a good resale value if you decide to change it further down the line & they keep updating the compatability unlike, say, apple who don't.
Can it be bi-amped and have sub outs? And can anyone recommend acoustic panels which you can easily wipe food off :p sad thing is that stuff does go through my head.

If you merely want a speaker to play from a smart Phone, Any device with BT aPX is the answer. If you additionally have AirPlay, that gives you more flexibility for source input. But you'd have to network it to take full advantage.

Sonos might be the answer if want set up a full eco system and entire home music network from one supplier. But may be overkill just for kitchen usage.

For< £200 the Bose mini Soundlnk ii. Is great fun, room filling, and easily transports from room to room. I have one, it's not the last word, but more than good enough.

I also heard the EU Boom 2 mentioned above and was impressed.

Get down to John Lewis with yer smart phones and play.

If you merely want a speaker to play from a smart Phone, Any device with BT aPX is the answer. If you additionally have AirPlay, that gives you more flexibility for source input. But you'd have to network it to take full advantage.

Sonos might be the answer if want set up a full eco system and entire home music network from one supplier. But may be overkill just for kitchen usage.

For< £200 the Bose mini Soundlnk ii. Is great fun, room filling, and easily transports from room to room. I have one, it's not the last word, but more than good enough.

I also heard the EU Boom 2 mentioned above and was impressed.

Get down to John Lewis with yer smart phones and play.

The answer is still Sonos One. Alexa, Siri, Google whatever. Great software regularly upgraded. Great sound. Discrete and same price as Bose. I have a Bose and the Sonos is so much better.

The answer is still Sonos One. Alexa, Siri, Google whatever. Great software regularly upgraded. Great sound. Discrete and same price as Bose. I have a Bose and the Sonos is so much better.
The obvious answer is usually the corect one

OP asked for a portable Bluetooth speaker to play smartphone sounds on. I maybe wrongly read that t mean something's stand alone and simple. There are also a Plethora of BT speakers out there. Audioengine A2 powered blue tooth speakers are a step up from Sonos sonically, as are Ruark MR1.

Sonos Play1 might well be the answer - if he wants a fully networked speaker/player with all the other bells n whistles to extend proprietary mesh system across house. But it would seem to be over featured fir a single standalone device..

There isn't an obvious answer. But there is an obvious qualifier question to OP. Do you want to network your Bluetooth speaker, or is BT alone sufficient.

When the op says only a smartphone will be used, does this mean as a control device, or as a source of music without being connected to WiFi?
If no WiFi is involved, connection will be via Bluetooth & Sonos doesn’t do Bluetooth.
If WiFi is involved the I’d look no further than Sonos.
Apologies if this has already been covered.

When the op says only a smartphone will be used, does this mean as a control device, or as a source of music without being connected to WiFi?
If no WiFi is involved, connection will be via Bluetooth & Sonos doesn’t do Bluetooth.

This is what I was trying to clarify.

Mainly WiFi Internet radio via smartphone

Ideally you want to have all bases covered, Bluetooth, Airplay and UPNP for future proofing and versatility. The lack of UPNP on the Audio Pro is what is holding me back....I just wish Naim would have a QB blowout!

The answer is still Sonos One. Does everything you need in a single speaker.

He ended up with the UE Boom 2
A bit thin sound but looking at expenses its fair tbh

I've seen these Sonos, are they better/fuller on voices, speech etc..?

Why not a speech recognition speaker? It’s much easier to ask for music than to play on the smartphone. I think the Sonos are outdated..

Sonos one & Sonos Beam both have Alexa voice control built in. So maybe its your view of Sonos which is outdated?

Ideally you want to have all bases covered, Bluetooth, Airplay and UPNP for future proofing and versatility. The lack of UPNP on the Audio Pro is what is holding me back....I just wish Naim would have a QB blowout!
The lack of UPNP is a good point, and something I hadn't thought about. I tried to buy the Audio Pro C5 at Richer Sounds over the weekend, but the salesman was only interested in selling me a Sonos.

advertisement

Back