advertisement

WinZip 26

tones

Tones deaf
As the world's least computer-literate person (I have now mastered the art of turning the thing on and off unassisted), I have always been happy to use well-established computer packages. I have used WinZip for years without any problem, so when a new one came along, I automatically installed it - only to find that this one is Something Else Again. Along with the compression software came a whole stack of other, totally unwanted things, such as something called WinZip Images, which took over my photo collection and wouldn't let me in (because I needed to upgrade to "pro"). Moreover, there was no way that I could see to remove the unwanted stuff and leave just the compression software - the whole shebang had to go. So it did.

What, please, do other folk use for compression software?

I use 7zip, but download it from their website not from the microsoft store.

WinZip has always seemed to be a vague scam to me.

Would agree if all you want is a compression and extraction program 7zip just works . Would also agree that downloading this and were possible any other software should be done direct from the companies web site avoid c-net etc .

As the world's least computer-literate person (I have now mastered the art of turning the thing on and off unassisted), I have always been happy to use well-established computer packages. I have used WinZip for years without any problem, so when a new one came along, I automatically installed it - only to find that this one is Something Else Again. Along with the compression software came a whole stack of other, totally unwanted things, such as something called WinZip Images, which took over my photo collection and wouldn't let me in (because I needed to upgrade to "pro"). Moreover, there was no way that I could see to remove the unwanted stuff and leave just the compression software - the whole shebang had to go. So it did.

What, please, do other folk use for compression software?

what OS?

What do you need an additional program for (apart from unusual archives (RAR, 7z etc)? If it's just zip files, it's all built in to Windows these days (and MacOS IIRC)

yebbut the OP said he was the world's least computer literate person, so how often would he come across other formats? Just sayin'
Other formats? There are other formats?

I had no idea that it was built into Windows - was this always the case? (Windows 10 user).

Yup, just double-click the zip file and it will open as if it's in File Explorer. You then have an option at the top of the window to Extract All Files. Should also work from a right-click extension. W10 used to have a problem if the file was password protected, but I think they fixed that now

PS: Yup there are lots of other compressed file formats, but ZIP must be 99% of them

Sorry I meant compression formats as opposed to zip, but yes tonnes of the bloody things especially if you start pissing around with linux distros a the likes.

advertisement

Back