advertisement

Winter election

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting for the promised jet-packs and holidays on the moon, preferably the two combined!
What could possibly go wrong, eh?

Just this week I’ve waiting in on 3 separate occasions for a BT engineer to turn up to fix a fault with my line that’s effecting my broadband. Every time I phone up customer service, they run a test, tell me I have a fault on my line (nss!) and book an engineer visit, but engineer cancels booking without telling me so I have to phone up again to go round the same circle. I’ve now raised a formal complaint.

Virgin are not an option where I live, but when I was with them in my previous house, they were just as bad

The sooner they’re privatised the better.

Just this week I’ve waiting in on 3 separate occasions for a BT engineer to turn up to fix a fault with my line that’s effecting my broadband. Every time I phone up customer service, they run a test, tell me I have a fault on my line (nss!) and book an engineer visit, but engineer cancels booking without telling me so I have to phone up again to go round the same circle. I’ve now raised a formal complaint.

Virgin are not an option where I live, but when I was with them in my previous house, they were just as bad

The sooner they’re privatised the better.
They already are;)

But seriously do you think nationalisation will make these services run smoother? In contrast Sky offer excellent customer service, are partnering with BBC re their adsmart tech & offer decent deals on broadband.

Nationalising broadband at this stage would be a disaster & an expensive one.

I'm perfectly happy for Labour to introduce a progressive tax system to improve public services like the NHS, Welfare provision but this Xmas list is getting farsical. They will be offering free tennis for monkeys next.

I'm perfectly happy for Labour to introduce a progressive tax system to improve public services like the NHS, Welfare provision but this Xmas list is getting farsical. They will be offering free tennis for monkeys next.

I've just had a leaflet through the door from Labour offering a new Fezza!

EDIT

Sorry, it was a Fez.

There was some discussion on Today yesterday about what the polls meant. The consensus was that if the current polling stood it would most likely be a Tory majority or a hung parliament, and from where we are barring a miracle those were the two most likely outcomes likely. The swing needed to produce a Labour majority is huge.

what’s wrong with that?
Tennis_monkey_poster-9591.jpg

They already are;)

But seriously do you think nationalisation will make these services run smoother? In contrast Sky offer excellent customer service, are partnering with BBC re their adsmart tech & offer decent deals on broadband.

Nationalising broadband at this stage would be a disaster & an expensive one.
I’m not in favour of nationalising everything on principle, but certain services, like railways have demonstrably failed to improve by being privatised, (or semi privatised, or half arsed privatised, or whatever), and it seems to me that if you’re dependant on the land line coming into your property for your connection to the big wide world, and BT has a virtual monopoly for providing that connection but fails in its task, then its not fit for purpose. Wether that would be best done by nationalisation or opening Openreach up to competition, I don’t know.

All I know is that my telephone line has massive interference and my broadband drops out a million times a day. If that’s not enough to vote Corbyn, I despair

PS Hands up who thinks anyone will be still using any form of wired broadband in 11 years time? Err, nope, me neither.

Well, they're still using it in Singapore - which seems to be permanently years ahead of us. 4G wouldn't do it as there isn't the bandwidth, so that would mean 5G with a mast every 500 metres or so - not cheap to set up, and maintain, nationwide. There are also issues with 5G being able to penetrate walls - or even glass...

https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/5g-will-hit-wall-literally-2019

I'm not saying wireless isn't the future, but I don't think that future would happen anytime soon.

This isn't my area of expertise (what is I ask myself?) so feel free to tell me I'm talking bollocks.

The same goes for all the main parties as far as I'm concerned. It just makes them look even more ridiculous than they already are, particularly as we all know that most of these promises won't be met.

I’m not in favour of nationalising everything on principle, but certain services, like railways have demonstrably failed to improve by being privatised, (or semi privatised, or half arsed privatised, or whatever), and it seems to me that if you’re dependant on the land line coming into your property for your connection to the big wide world, and BT has a virtual monopoly for providing that connection but fails in its task, then its not fit for purpose. Wether that would be best done by nationalisation or opening Openreach up to competition, I don’t know.

All I know is that my telephone line has massive interference and my broadband drops out a million times a day. If that’s not enough to vote Corbyn, I despair
The rail service has improved since privatisation. Passenger numbers are up since the BR days, massively so, but our rail service still isn't good enough. Ultimately it needs huge levels of investment, especially in the North, but successive govts haven't done this.

Nationalisation would just replace one inefficient monopoly with another, in the context of broadband.

Well, they're still using it in Singapore - which seems to be permanently years ahead of us. 4G wouldn't do it as there isn't the bandwidth, so that would mean 5G with a mast every 500 metres or so - not cheap to set up, and maintain, nationwide. There are also issues with 5G being able to penetrate walls - or even glass...

https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/5g-will-hit-wall-literally-2019

I'm not saying wireless isn't the future, but I don't think that future would happen anytime soon.

This isn't my area of expertise (what is I ask myself?) so feel free to tell me I'm talking bollocks.
You are not talking bollocks.

I personally like eye catching pledges that appeal to younger, less cynical voters as much as the next man. Especially where being held accountable passes to some distance in the future.

But Christ, why announce something huge and technical that can be picked over ad nauseam by rivals - with questions fired at less than savvy MPs who will struggle to answer, just as the NHS scandal was encouraging the Tories to run away from scrutiny and fail to put up people for key debates?

With frog face finally ushered off stage to the US chat show circuit for some serious money making and photos with his hero, this exploding clown's car of a campaign just managed to divert attention from the only real weakness as the Tories sweep up Nigel's gammon army.

Check out the thread on sim routers. A month ago we were where you are, now getting 35mps plus for half the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back