advertisement

Winter election

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about a Boris Nigel coalition....eugh...

Nige's track record in actually getting MPs elected is not inspiring. He may get a few this time I suppose. His main effect will be in marginal seats, where taking votes off Tories or Labour will hand the seat to their main opponent (not usually the Brexit Party candidate).

Johnson looks like going in to the election with a Brexit-with-my-deal policy, and Farage with no-deal Brexit. It's hard to see much agreement there.

On the other side, the Lib Dems take the remain vote. Labour, with no definite Brexit position, are left with their hard-core supporters. The game changer for them would be to switch to full-on remain, like the Lib Dems, and do a deal with them, or at least increase their Remainer support at the Lib Dems' expense.

Kind regards

- Garry

What's highly likely is No Overall majority. So we don't agree a deal and are back to Europe for yet another extension in January.

I think you’d quite like that...admiring from afar while you enjoy living inside the EU.
You're far more likely to enjoy it than I am. Cosied up in the posh part of Edinburgh, not much affecting you, having great fun complaining about the situation.

I remain unconvinced that a winter election is the best option for Labour, as do many of the party's MPs, but Corbyn and the top team obviously now want one, so we need to get behind it as a unified force.

The one thing we need to be positive about is that Corbyn is a great campaigning politician, and when parliament is dissolved and election broadcasting rules kick in, he will at least have a fair chance of getting the Labour message across.

The polls are dismal now but they were two years ago and Labour performed above expectations. I hope the same will happen this time.

Most likely outcome for me is a hung parliament with the Tories as the largest party, so this election may not solve anything when it comes to Brexit. We'll see but what an exciting build-up to Christmas we now have in store!

Not sure what positives a general election will give us here in the UK.
A general election shouldn’t be solely over one issue. If that’s the case, a referendum is more fitting isn’t it?
Can’t help but think BJ is playing this very well, as much as I despise him. He’s clearly been taking guidance from his idol/role model from the other side of the pond. And like him, presently he’s a bit Teflon.
My guess would be another hung parliament with the Tories trying to do deals with anyone to get em over the line.
As much as in general I’m a lefty, I can’t see Corbyn ever getting in & the result will be a ruling party with a shift even further to the right to appease the ‘leave at any cost’ brigade.

I don't know if proxy and postal votes are identifiable from the envelope.. but making a special effort to deliver them even during a strike would be great PR

Clap clap. Brexit, very important, most important thing. Corbyn loves Brexit. Lib Dems will take Kensington for Remain.

Is this the Momentum strategy? Persuade the Liberals not to stand in seats? There was always going to be a Liberal standing there.
They shouldn't be sending their highest profile candidates to Labour/Conservative marginals. That's not as far as I know a Momentum request. It's just obvious, unless stopping Brexit is really quite far down on your list of priorities. The Lib Dems were a very distant third in Kensington in 2017. They can't win it. But they can help the Tories stop Labour winning it.

FFS!!!! The more good Corbyn promises to do if elected the more hated he becomes... and if Bojo actually admitted wife beating and eating babies he would probably go even higher in the polls!! It's a mad mad world...

I’ve not checked the stats but I’d expect Ken to be overwhelmingly ’remain’ and no great fan of Johnson’s hard-right tabloid popularism. Surely as someone who has spent the last few months arguing the absurd AAV/Momentum attack meme position that the LDs are Tories by another name you should be welcoming them splitting that vote?!

I'm reading that Johnson could call off a winter election if 16-year-olds and EU nationals are given the right to vote. What I wonder is what is it Johnson is scared of about 16-year-olds and EU nationals voting? Maybe because he knows they are far more likely to vote Labour. Just a thought...

I see no reasons why either of these groups shouldn't be able to vote. After all, the government are responsible for things which affect their futures whether it's Brexit or education funding.

Just look at some of the things you can do as a 16-year-old. Get married with parental consent and joining the army is just a few things you can do at that age, so why not?

FS!!!! The more good Corbyn promises to do if elected the more hated he becomes.

yes because he isn't trusted nor believable. He hasn't dealt with issues within the party. His responses are weak and vague. He doesn't have the personality to be elected.

Oh and i am a paid up member of the Labour party, have done plenty of hustings and door knocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back