advertisement

Winter election II

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Priti Patel’s disgusting act of kicking away the ladder on immigrants and the free movement of people last month... it is worth reminding everybody that it’s not just UK citizens that can register to vote — the migrant vote is very important, More now than ever before — it’s vital that as many migrants as possible know they have and can get the chance to take part in voting for people that they want to and represent their interests.

https://promotemigrantvote.org.uk/can-i-vote-in-the-general-election/

You are eligible to vote in the UK General Elections if you are British, Irish, or from a qualifying Commonwealth country. If you are from a Commonwealth country, you must be resident in the UK and either have leave to remain in the UK or not require such leave. Commonwealth citizens include those of British Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories. Therefore, if you are from one of the following countries, and either have leave to remain or do not require such leave, then you are eligible to vote in the General Election.

Not many racist dog sh*t peeps round ere. Not even any dog sh*t. Far too clean and tidy.

Still, I spose BJ has to visit all parts in order to dredge up as many votes as possible.

Two fat, right-wing racists exchange unpleasantries in front of a dog-shit park. It sums Johnson up perfectly. I've been trying to work out whether they are somewhere like Stoke or Guildford.

Jack
I'm always surprised by those who fight for the rights of the less well off and then slag them off for where they live!
Seems somewhat hypocritical.

The Today programme this morning is coming from a college in Sheffield. They're doing various bits & bobs of audience vox pops, and they've just done one about impressions of the leaders, after the debate. One comment filled me with despair, a young student said that they preferred Johnson, because he gave straight, short answers, whereas Corbyn waffled.

The problem is that Corbyn recognises that these are complex issues, for which a short soundbite isn't sufficient. Johnson, however, knows that the soundbite is all that matters. People won't remember the content, they'll just hear his 'decisive' leadership in giving a short, snappy answer, and they'll chalk up a win for him.
Yes, I listened to that student with an open mouth. I was also astounded at some of the poll results; a majority of people polled after last nights debate thought Johnson was dishonest, yet a majority still wanted him as PM. Which means that a significant number of people would elect someone they actually recognise to be dishonest and untrustworthy.

Two things seem to be happening here. First we have two contrasting styles of leadership, Corbyn’s collaborative coalition building and Johnson’s dogma and deceit. Corbyn will look at complex issues and try to build agreement, Johnson will just promise simple, believable lies that people are happy to vote for. The student in Sheffield liked Johnson because he was telling her what to think, she didn’t like Corbyn because she was being asked to think for herself. It was noticeable that Johnson’s only attack line last night was on Corbyn’s personal Brexit position. Wether Corbyn campaigns for his deal or Remain is completely irrelevant, the point is that people will at last have the info to make an informed decision. The problem is of course that it appears that many people don’t want to have the responsibility of assessing information and making a decision themselves, like the Sheffield Student, they need to be told what to think and to have decisions made for them

Second is Johnson’s popularity despite his known lies and a majority of voters believing him to be totally untrustworthy, yet would still vote for him. But it seems from a few posts here that it’s not just a question of Johnson’s lies, some people seem to invent their own lies, such as Corbyn has ‘a stated aim to end capitalism’, and build a kind of fear around an imagined scenario.

While people vote for lies both real and imagined, this country will continue on the path of declining working conditions for the less advantaged, damage to the environment, rampant racism, and public services being decimated further and further that it has been on for the last half century.

After Priti Patel’s disgusting act of kicking away the ladder on immigrants and the free movement of people last month... it is worth reminding everybody that it’s not just UK citizens that can register to vote — the migrant vote is very important, More now than ever before — it’s vital that as many migrants as possible know they have and can get the chance to take part in voting for people that they want to and represent their interests.

https://promotemigrantvote.org.uk/can-i-vote-in-the-general-election/

If Brexit means anything then surely if means the end of free movement for EU citizens to the UK. Though I'm pretty sure she's backtracked on the need for existing EU migrants to prove their right to remain, my Spanish friend has done hers, was quite straight forward, nothing to be alarmed about! Mind you in practice the Tories are not much better on reducing immigration than Labour. Because of Brexit - when it happens that is - European migration to the UK will surely be reduced, only for it to increase from other parts of the world, not exactly what your average Brext voter wanted!

Another notable drama queen storming off! Where you gonna go, Andrew Lloyd Webber fantasy island? Boss boss the pain the pain.

Jack's been threatening to storm off for at least five years, probably nearer ten. IIRC, Germany was his original choice of destination. Amazingly, he wrote this in 2013: 'I like going on holiday to European countries and some cultural aspects - music, film, art and football - are fantastic, but I think we should get out of the EU asap.'

saying he wanted to "radically challenge the system as it now is".

Challenging the system is not getting rid of it. This system needs challenging. Urgently

You say eether and I say eyether
You say neether and I say nyther
Eether, eyether, neether, nyther
Let's call the whole thing off!

Jack's been threatening to storm off for at least five years, probably nearer ten. IIRC, Germany was his original choice of destination. Amazingly, he wrote this in 2013: 'I like going on holiday to European countries and some cultural aspects - music, film, art and football - are fantastic, but I think we should get out of the EU asap.'
Gosh. Do you keep a record of people’s spelling mistakes too? I’d have a file all to myself no doubt?

Gosh. Do you keep a record of people’s spelling mistakes too? I’d have a file all to myself no doubt?

I don't need to keep records of anything, though I do have a reasonably good memory. There's a useful 'search' function on the forum, which I use to make sure my memory's working properly.

Don't listen to Vox pops. Don't read opinion polls. Their purpose is to enrage and demoralise.

Of course, but "ITV political correspondent Paul Brand’s snap survey had Jeremy Corbyn as the clear winner on 78% with Boris Johnson languishing on 22%." Totally demoralising for Labour!

I don't need to keep records of anything, though I do have a reasonably good memory. There's a useful 'search' function on the forum, which I use to make sure my memory's working properly.
OK. Useful to know. Always happy to be proven wrong. I was looking for something a little while ago but could only go back a few years so I presumed everything pre xenforo was lost!

Yes, I listened to that student with an open mouth. I was also astounded at some of the poll results; a majority of people polled after last nights debate thought Johnson was dishonest, yet a majority still wanted him as PM. Which means that a significant number of people would elect someone they actually recognise to be dishonest and untrustworthy.

Two things seem to be happening here. First we have two contrasting styles of leadership, Corbyn’s collaborative coalition building and Johnson’s dogma and deceit. Corbyn will look at complex issues and try to build agreement, Johnson will just promise simple, believable lies that people are happy to vote for. The student in Sheffield liked Johnson because he was telling her what to think, she didn’t like Corbyn because she was being asked to think for herself. It was noticeable that Johnson’s only attack line last night was on Corbyn’s personal Brexit position. Wether Corbyn campaigns for his deal or Remain is completely irrelevant, the point is that people will at last have the info to make an informed decision. The problem is of course that it appears that many people don’t want to have the responsibility of assessing information and making a decision themselves, like the Sheffield Student, they need to be told what to think and to have decisions made for them

Second is Johnson’s popularity despite his known lies and a majority of voters believing him to be totally untrustworthy, yet would still vote for him. But it seems from a few posts here that it’s not just a question of Johnson’s lies, some people seem to invent their own lies, such as Corbyn has ‘a stated aim to end capitalism’, and build a kind of fear around an imagined scenario.

While people vote for lies both real and imagined, this country will continue on the path of declining working conditions for the less advantaged, damage to the environment, rampant racism, and public services being decimated further and further that it has been on for the last half century.
To my mind this shows that Labour need a more engaging leader? I appreciate you won't agree but that is how it comes across.

People tend to like choices rather than a blank sheet of paper.

I very much doubt that student is representative of the people of Sheffield BTW, could just as easily have been from the home counties.

I wasn't expecting anything better from the Sheffield students tbh. I've taught hundreds and when it comes to common sense most are thick as pigshit.

saying he wanted to "radically challenge the system as it now is".

Challenging the system is not getting rid of it. This system needs challenging. Urgently

Spot on. The system needs tearing up and a new start making!

That ultimate evil which is human nature has meant that the present system and laws have been built by the rich and powerful and for the rich and powerful... anyone with vested interest should not be allowed to make the rules!

Anyway I could rattle on for ages and everything I say will be predictable enough so....

The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy had it right... wanting to be ruler of the galaxy should instantly disbar you from it! They ended up with a tramp like figure in a scrap yard who didn't realise the strange questions he was being asked by odd people were, de facto, himself ruling the universe!

They will get the prime minister they deserve in that case, sadly a lot of the UK population are basically dishonest and untrustworthy!

He also passionately believes we should remain in UK now. But not enough to vote for Labour, who are offering a second referendum. Like a few on here. It's nuts. How are Corbyn's supposed weak leadership skills and supposed dodgy past etc at all relevant if remain is the most important thing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back