advertisement

Wine in boxes

This thread has reminded me, we’ve got a BiB in the storeroom....Cairanne, Cotes du Rhone Villages.....bought last summer from the Caves des Vignerons in, er, Cairanne.

BH weekend.....could be a good time to get it out :)

I'm struggling to understand the concept of not being able to drink a bottle of red wine over 2-3 days.
I've been doing this for many years and have never once tasted any deterioration on the 2nd or 3rd day.
For the record I normally drink a decent supermarket pinot noir which costs around 6-8 euros in France.

I taste deterioration after 1 day.

As others have said, in my experience a lot of younger cheaper wine does taste better the next day ie after it has had a chance to breath. With these wines I tend to decant it roughly into an over large decanter and shake vigorously to speed up the process. I then leave it somewhere warm. Seems to work for me.

Best cure for younger, cheaper wine is a 20% port blend, takes the edge off nicely.

In the Caribbean we often have chilled Pinot Noir, in Dominica we had a great little offie with reds in the chiller.

As others have said, in my experience a lot of younger cheaper wine does taste better the next day ie after it has had a chance to breath. With these wines I tend to decant it roughly into an over large decanter and shake vigorously to speed up the process. I then leave it somewhere warm. Seems to work for me.

breath! in my experience after 24 hours it would have expired! and taste rank. Yes I agree exposing to the air to allow a little oxidation can be a good thing. Too much and the bouquet vanishes. Dont forget alot of what you refer to as taste happens through your nose and sense of smell.

advertisement

Back