advertisement

Wine in boxes

I'm struggling to understand the concept of not being able to drink a bottle of red wine over 2-3 days.
I've been doing this for many years and have never once tasted any deterioration on the 2nd or 3rd day.
For the record I normally drink a decent supermarket pinot noir which costs around 6-8 euros in France.

I'm struggling to understand the concept of not being able to drink a bottle of red wine over 2-3 days.
I've been doing this for many years and have never once tasted any deterioration on the 2nd or 3rd day.
For the record I normally drink a decent supermarket pinot noir which costs around 6-8 euros in France.

I do not know why, but for me it does not taste as good

Bloss

I do not know why, but for me it does not taste as good

Bloss
How confident are you that blindfolded you could consistently pick out 1-2 days old wine over a bottle just opened?
Seriously though - put the cork back in and leave in a cool room and it will be just as nice the following day.

How confident are you that blindfolded you could consistently pick out 1-2 days old wine over a bottle just opened?
Seriously though - put the cork back in and leave in a cool room and it will be just as nice the following day.

We have used a vacuum pump thingy, but still not as good. If I open a bottle 10 quid and over, then it will be drunk that night because of these issues.

I think you probably are getting superior wines for 6-8 euros compared to here for a similar dollar. It will be boxes of wine, or 1/2 bottles for Mon-Thurs,
good stuff at the weekends and finished each day

Bloss

I find £6-£8 wines often taste better the next day, especially reds which may be a bit harsh on opening. Obviously I'm not a connoisseur - but I know when something tastes better. Maybe more expensive wines behave differently. I have also suspected those suction pumps suck some of the taste out, but that's probably nonsense!

I find £6-£8 wines often taste better the next day, especially reds which may be a bit harsh on opening. Obviously I'm not a connoisseur - but I know when something tastes better. Maybe more expensive wines behave differently. I have also suspected those suction pumps suck some of the taste out, but that's probably nonsense!
I suspect that, too. If you lower the pressure in the bottle, you reduce the vapour pressure, which means the more volatile compounds will be more inclined to evaporate out of the wine. Or something.

If I'm using a vacuvin stopper, which I do, I tend to put the bottle in the fridge overnight, even reds, to reduce the oxidation, then let it come back to room temp the following day before drinking. Am I a bad person?

If I'm using a vacuvin stopper, which I do, I tend to put the bottle in the fridge overnight, even reds, to reduce the oxidation, then let it come back to room temp the following day before drinking. Am I a bad person?
Only if, when your meal is waiting, you suddenly remember there is half a bottle of red in the fridge, say ‘sod it, I’ll drink it anyway’ and knock it back while wiping the condensation from the outside of the glass.

Red wine in the fridge - are you serious?
Yes, plenty of expert wine bods reckon it’s the best place for an opened bottle (stoppered up again, of course.) I admit I don’t do it myself, or at least haven’t yet. But that’s mainly because I’d never remember to take it out early enough, as suggested above. Maybe I could set a recurring alarm on my phone.

Yes, plenty of expert wine bods reckon it’s the best place for an opened bottle (stoppered up again, of course.) I admit I don’t do it myself, or at least haven’t yet.
Never seen anyone do it in France and they're pretty clued up in the region that I live.

advertisement

Back