advertisement

Windows 10 updates and logging in to Microsoft

Schnitger

pfm Member
A simple question: do I need to be logged in to my Microsoft account in order to receive automatic Windows 10 updates?

Thanks

Unrelated but perhaps. You can buy windows keys on ebay for a few quid, but download the software direct from the microsoft store then you can be logged in no issue.

Type "Windows Update" in the bottom search bar and click on check for updates. Windows 10 should guide you from there....

I updated a laptop this week which had not been used for 12-18 months plus and it took nearly all day to complete....

Yes I recently installed Win Pro 1803 and the updates took hours. Windows had to go through updating to each previous version resulting in loads of downloads and reboots along the way. Apple and Linux are a lot better allowing you to miss years of updates and then you can just jump to a new version a lot quicker. In fact Apple don't allow you to have intermediate OS releases unless you had already installed them previously.

Cheers,

DV

Win 1803 is two years out of date, and no longer supported, so MS tell me.

You can therefore look forward to the joys of the update from 1803 to 1903, which took my system several attempts, each time taking 2-3 hours, before failing dismally and rolling back.

Currently on 1909, awaiting for it to sort itself out for update 2004.

Enjoy!

1903 to 1909 is a tiny update - basically all it does is flick on some option switches - it's under 300Kb I think.

Got 2004 on a few test PC's, no shockers yet, not being offered up on some PC's if they have certain options/configs set so there must be something lurking in wait for us :)

Safe staying on 1909 for a good while - security updates will drop until May 2021 or thereabouts.

Yeah, I barely noticed 1903-1909. :)

1803-1903 was the shocker for my system - multiple failed installs and roll backs from August through to May, although with every new attempt it got a bit further. But there was one infamous failure when I really thought I’d be rebuilding from scratch. I even posted here about it requiring two clicks of the power button before it would boot (DV might remember that one) - still does that occasionally, but i can live with it.

Curiously, the other three family PCs did that particular update without any problems - apart from the two hours of “lost gaming time”.

They've made a hash of a couple updates but overall Win 10 is mucho better than 8 ever was. The feature packs can take a ridiculous amount of time to install, you should see some 2016 servers, they sit for 2 hours getting ready to reboot and install the patches. Server 2019 is way quicker so at least they have sorted it for the current boxes we're deploying.

Win 1803 is two years out of date, and no longer supported, so MS tell me.

You can therefore look forward to the joys of the update from 1803 to 1903, which took my system several attempts, each time taking 2-3 hours, before failing dismally and rolling back.

Currently on 1909, awaiting for it to sort itself out for update 2004.

Enjoy!
I did mine on a second partition of a 2010 Mac Mini. The first had OS X Server 10.6 on it. The updates went through in one loooong go and if I wasn't there when the installation rebooted I'd be looking at the OS X server screen.

The reason that I used 1803 (apart from my free M$ server activation trick/hack) is that I had it on DVD and could boot that on the 2010 Mac Mini using an external optical drive. Fun no? Anywho Windows Pro is now fully up to date and happily running on this old Apple kit.

Cheers,

DV

One reason 2004 is being held back on some machines is that it caused major issues on PCs running Storage Spaces, Microsoft’s version of software RAID. It pretty much made the discs unreadable. I have 2004 running successfully on the main PC here, but Windows Update is holding back from doing the same with the two MicroServers here as both use Storage Spaces.

Mick

One reason 2004 is being held back on some machines is that it caused major issues on PCs running Storage Spaces, Microsoft’s version of software RAID. It pretty much made the discs unreadable. I have 2004 running successfully on the main PC here, but Windows Update is holding back from doing the same with the two MicroServers here as both use Storage Spaces.

Mick

So that's only two 'builds' of Windows 10 that has f**ked up users' files. Awesome.

They don’t test like they used to, after slammer things got much better and mid 2000’s patches were nowhere near the pita they are now and the “secure by design” mantra came in, enable what functions you need rather than turning stuff off. As I understand the teams gradually got repurposed/deprecated/budgets changed.

By the 2010’s things started to go downhill and we've had some major ckustf****kks last couple years. MS are totally focussed on Cloud and recurring direct customer revenue now.

Suppliers aren't above silently revising hardware either: you might thing you're qualifying against one model of hard disk, but there could be five to ten variants of it all sold under that part code, and you've no idea what they are - sometimes the company selling the systems doesn't even know.

advertisement

Back