advertisement

Wimbledon 2022

You’re welcome, can’t say I was surprised really, apart from his serve there’s not much he could fall back on,
the thing is with a big serve if you come up against a great returner,
they’ll utilise the pace of what’s coming to them and just keep returning the ball in,
the natural instinct of a banger is just punch harder and mistakes follows or just keep hitting it to their laces,
these are big guys and don’t like half volleys low down.

The two “waste of space” cadets are playing in centre court just now if anyones interested,
available on Red Button sitting at 1 set all even Steven’s at the moment, just waiting for something to kick off.

The ladies game is a bit hit and miss, mostly miss for me,
i can’t understand how you start playing the game at 5yrs old but can’t toss a ball consistently to serve,
there was a game on the first day that the girl was clearly tossing the ball too far in the court and hitting the net,
even the commentator quipped you’d think she would adjust her toss,
nah…if the ladies want the same prize money, them give them the option of playing in the mens pool.
Patronising sexist rubbish.

Well that was the match of the championship so far.

Presumably you're talking about the two Greeks bearing gifts. The one from Down-under is not only Wimbles' comedic turn but plays a version of tennis which is concurrently weird, talented and highly entertaining.

On the Rafa match, it's hard to see how such a comparably inadequate player can get through to this stage. On the other hand (and as Rafa himself said recently), the more matches he plays, the higher his level climbs.

I was fortunate to be watching the action on court 1 today. By far the best match was Kyrgios who I’m pleased to have seen again, having watched him retire injured last year. He’s frustrating and a remarkable talent in equal measure. It’s almost like he has to start imploding to find the talent that lurks within.

Broady did well to get this far but was outclassed by De Minaur.

Cornet was on fire against Swiatek.

I like the natural talent Kyrgios has but I don't like his bullying. Amazing that a large number in a Wimbledon crowd think it is OK.
He has contrived to bring Australian sledging to professional tennis.
The question is how to stop it without losing him from the game ?

Last edited:
I like the natural talent Kyrgios has but I don't like his bullying. Amazing that a large number in a Wimbledon crowd think it is OK.
With respect to Tsitsipas Nick was 100% correct. The ball hitting into the crowd like that should have resulted in a default no question. I agree Nick really does need to just shut up and play but he just cannot help himself. His playing in this match was spellbinding. As my wife and I were watching we both thought Nick needs this banter with himself because he simply cannot focus on the game 100%. He's all over the place. He has well known mental health problems which of course is sad but also really complicates what to do when he goes off on court.

^ well yes maybe he does 'need this banter' to play his best but it is not banter it is bullying. It is also intended to stop his opponent playing well and to intimidate officials. He can keep it going for hours but shuts up when he is winning. So I don't believe he 'just cannot help himself'. IMO it is cheating.
Must admit it fits in with the current zeitgeist though.
Looking forward to Sinner v Alcaraz today.

According to Tsitsipas, Kyrgios is evil. In that case, I'd look forward to a match between the Sinner and the sinful. Actually, Stephanos played very well, with some superb shots under provocation, but obv. wasn't enjoying the competition which is not really surprising, facing the slightly unhinged antipodean Greek. His serving procedure alone should merit the pseudonym of Machine-gun Kyrgios (in deference to Ned Kelly, of course. ;))

I like the natural talent Kyrgios has but I don't like his bullying...

He gets away with it so doesn’t see the need to change. Stronger refereeing is required and if he doesn’t like it that’s his issue.

I don’t see him as a great loss in the grand scheme of things. Letting him get away with his brattish antics will merely encourage others to misbehave.

He might not look like a top tennis player but Sinner has the shots and mental strength. Seems more Austrian than Italian.

advertisement

Back