advertisement

William Lennon boots

lordsummit

Has anyone here bought any? We’re they any good? How did they compare to other manufacturers like Red Wings? Whilst searching for black boots I came across these made by Lennons, and a conversation with the factory would suggest they’re a useful chunk cheaper than the Red Wing Blacksmith or Iron Ranger I was planning on buying. Not planning on wearing them for fell walking, but more for general wear. I ask because one of my friends had some, but wasn’t as keen as he was on his Iron Rangers. He’d had an issue with the sole. I’m waiting on some swatches of leather to have a look at. Their website is here for anyone interested:

https://www.rufflander.co.uk/product-category/heritage-footwear/town-and-country-boots/

If anyone has alternative suggestions I’ll have a look. I’m pondering Solovair as an option, I quite fancy a pair of their astronaut derby boots in greasy black leather, but I don’t think that’s going to be this time.

50221103188_89dc018a6d_b.jpg

Solovair are good (I have two pairs) - definitely better than Dr. Martens these days - but they are fashion boots at the end of the day. William Lennon boots are on another level.

It’s the quality I’m concerned about. I’m wondering how handmade boots are only a little more than Solovair, and a good chunk less than Red Wings!

The boots in the image look interesting but don't seem to resemble anything on the website (unless the heat is going to my head and i'm having a thick moment)

It’s the quality I’m concerned about. I’m wondering how handmade boots are only a little more than Solovair, and a good chunk less than Red Wings!

I would say that the RRP has very little to do with the quality of the item. Red Wings in particular are very over-priced for what they are in my experience. The WL, whilst unlined (I think?), will be using much better leather, and will be easy to have resoled, etc. when the time comes. They'll go on forever! Where as DM's, Solovair and at least some Red Wings have 'proprietary' soles which will wear out much faster, and be difficult (and in the case of DM - impossible) to resole.

There are video's on Youtube showing just how quickly DM soles wear out.

If quality is your priority, personally I would go with William Lennon over any of those brands all day long.

PS. Also recommend looking at Alfred Sargent (no association - just my favourite bootmaker :)). More expensive again, but I have a few pairs - one of which are around 15 years old, have been resoled 3 times and still come back looking almost new.

There are video's on Youtube showing just how quickly DM soles wear out.

Back in the ‘80s when I was an indie kid and it was The Law to wear black 501s and DMs I was lucky to get a year out of a pair. The soles wore smooth pretty fast, then they’d split sideways across the ball of the foot. Really not great shoes IMO.

The only other boots I’ve owned are Timberland (I worked in their IT dept for a while so got a great discount). The classic 10063 were very good IMO, I’ve still got a pair somewhere, but very seldom wear them. Apparently, after Nike Air trainers, they are the most likely footprint to be found by the police outside a burgled house.

The William Lennon boots I googled-up look good, but they don’t look as comfy as the Red Wings. More a boot for working outdoors or kicking fascists I’d have thought.

I owned a pair almost identical to those pictured, they were ok, they have a curved sole, which I'm not too fussed on personally, very work wear oriented. They are quite basic boots, no lining or anything, good enough though.

If I were you I'd get a pair of Cheaney boots, they're twice as much but last longer, and much better made, fantastic work wear styles with more details.

Grassmere are not brogues. Trickers are the best & there is a 40% off sale at the moment.

Grenson also have a sale on currently.

Grassmere is currently £445!! The boots in the sale all have broguing. They’re too posh for what I’d wear them for. Very lovely but I’d seldom wear them. I want them to wear with jeans at the pub, to go to town, pop over to pfm central. I’m not the sort of person who needs to dress smartly, I’m one of those scruffy creative types, jeans and boots and a polo shirt covers most occasions.

I’ll have a look at Grenson.

advertisement

Back