Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Will You Consider Buying Made In China Gear

Discussion in 'audio' started by ryder, May 30, 2022.

?

Will You Consider Buying Made In China Gear

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. An Owner Already

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Taiwan might suffer same fate as Hong Kong.
    Will be more bloody for certain.

2. The route cause, a seed that was planted in 1970/80's - No going back now, the old species is extinct.

3. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

Schiller Institute is pretty dodgy, and would anyone with an even slightly nuanced view of geopolitics use expressions like "take over the entire world?".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiller_Institute

4. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

I don't have much high value kit as I buy used or DIY. But no way in reality I cant boycott China as EVERY single item in my house will have some Chinese made components in it

5. Locheeboy

Locheeboy pfm Member

for the vehemently opposed tae Chinese goods - won't have them in the house - at any cost. Ah can only say..."Does yer wife/partner wear shoes? ":eek::cool:

6. yunie_

yunie_ pfm Member

yeah it does not.

7. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

I take your point, but there's a difference between 'majority of' and 'all.' It can be done.

Last two pairs of shoes I bought were from Paraboot (made in France) and Astorflex (made in Italy).

8. miktec

miktec unissued

9. miktec

miktec unissued

I think the rot had set in well before Thatcher et. al.
    As a kid in the 50s I remember the chatter about 'how can we hope to compete with workers who only need a bowl of rice a day ...' etc.

Out-sourcing and the sale of 'redundant' manufacturing machinery to allegedly '3rd world countries' was already well under way.

A year or so ago there was a TV article about a massive jute weaving plant in India - loads of exports for packaging material. They were still using the looms bought from UK sell offs way back then.

10. simon g

simon g Older, wiser but no longer retired

11. anubisgrau

anubisgrau pfm Member

beware that one day this may be seen as financing chinese totalitarian government.... only saying

12. tuga

tuga Legal Alien

Should we sanction the US for death penalty, weapons laws, Guantanamo and installing puppet regimes in foreign countries?

mik_rik and anubisgrau like this.
  13. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

I guess that depends on whether you agree or disagree with the death penalty, weapons laws, etc

14. Locheeboy

Locheeboy pfm Member

Ah didnae make a distinction between "majority of" and "all". If yer wife/partner wears women's shoes then 89.4% of those shoes sold in the UK/Europe are made in ....YON PLACE...o_O.

Also, in a large percentage of cases, the arcanely named paraboots should be described,technically, as "assembled in France". Now, where do some of the materials come from ? EEEK!

15. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

I think you'd potentially create an international incident on that score. Why not roll up at the factory gates some time and explain your theory? I'm sure they'd be delighted to discuss it with you. Tell them you're a Liverpool fan for good measure.

16. paulbysea

paulbysea pfm Member

I suspect many people posting in this thread will be doing so on electronic equipment that was partially or completely made in China.
    I have little idea how much of the Dell laptop I am typing this on was made in China.
    Whilst much of the amp and streamer on which I am listening to R6 as I type is designed and built by a British manufacturer, I do know that many of the components and some sub-assemblies are manufactured there. We live in a world where products are made from components sourced from around the world and hi-fi is no different. My German-designed car was manufactured or is it assembled mostly in Germany I believe, the engine is from Japan and I expect a lot of the electronics are from China or other Far Eastern countries. As an end-user/purchaser we would have to do an inordinate amount of research to determine where every component is manufactured.

say it as it is likes this.
  17. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I have no issue with the quality of Chinese-manufactured e-goods. We're eyeing up a Tesla for our next car. In our part of the world, Tesla is manufactured mostly in China. I suppose I could incur the expense of shipping a US-made one, but I don't fancy having the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

18. notevenclose

notevenclose pfm Member

We really have two completely different themes going on here. Nobody's (well, maybe a few) griping about the perceived quality, or lack of, re Chinese-manufactured products, whether the company is Chinese-owned or not. The bigger issue, for some, clearly not all, is kind of China PLC and its 'board of directors.' To which end I also prefer to also avoid Chinese ownership regardless of where companies are registered or goods manufactured.

Perhaps if you mentally substitute 'Russia' or 'Saudi Arabia' one would be thinking along the right lines. Purely hypothetically of course. Thank goodness it's not a football forum, huh?

Anyway, as ever, no-one on an Internet forum, me included, is ever going to change their mind on anything. So, time to butt out and pour another nice glass of Shengzou Burgundy.

BTW, I'm not a motorist, but from what I know of Tesla quality control from a couple of owners, which side the steering wheel's on (or whether it's actually connected to anything) contains a substantial element of pot luck regardless of where they're made.

19. yunie_

yunie_ pfm Member

How about returning the stolen artifacts from the museum before talking about boycotting

20. I recon by 2050 China will own/financially dominate most the capital cities across the globe.