advertisement

Will The UK Go To War With Syria & Russia?

Will The UK Go To War With Syria and Russia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No. Compared to what we lived through during the 60s and 70s this is a playground spat.

It's different, in the 60s and 70s there was just Russia and America, if you look at the actors in Syria at the moment it's Russia, Assad, Israel, Iran, USA, Saudi Arabia, Islamic State. None of those are particularly rational and three of them have nuclear weapons, so it's a very volatile very dangerous mix.

I suspect that whatever it is will be no more than a slap on the wrist for Assad and his backers. There are no good military options for the USA/UK/France. The only thing that would have any chance of working is a full-scale invasion and nation-building exercise - and we know how well that went last time out. And the US hasn't the desire (or, for that matter, the means) to do it. The simple, awful fact is that Assad, backed by the Iranians and the Russians, has won, and he knows it, and so, I suspect, do the Americans. He is now in control of most of the former territory of Syria, with only a few pockets of resistance left. The time for regime change has long passed. A former British politician talked about a far-away country of which we know little before selling it down the river. I suspect that the same is about to happen.

Who cares and if we did care what can the public do anything to change the current lack of political shittyness protocol. Im fed up of it all we would be better off by being governed by badgers or clarris cliff milk jugs.

I suspect that whatever it is will be no more than a slap on the wrist for Assad and his backers. There are no good military options for the USA/UK/France. The only thing that would have any chance of working is a full-scale invasion and nation-building exercise - and we know how well that went last time out. And the US hasn't the desire (or, for that matter, the means) to do it. The simple, awful fact is that Assad, backed by the Iranians and the Russians, has won, and he knows it, and so, I suspect, do the Americans. He is now in control of most of the former territory of Syria, with only a few pockets of resistance left. The time for regime change has long passed. A former British politician talked about a far-away country of which we know little before selling it down the river. I suspect that the same is about to happen.

Agreed. Trump just wants to be seen to be ‘the big man’ by his idiot userbase in standing up to Putin and deflecting from the Mueller Enquiry. I suspect it is all ego, huff and bluster as America at large has no appetite for yet another ground war. End result Putin wins, but only after a few more token CNN-friendly air strikes by Trump. Assad and Putin have pretty much free-rein to carry out whatever mass-murder upon the civilians of Syria they wish now, they have all but won. I’d be amazed if it escalated beyond that. I’ll also be somewhat amazed if those who stood up to Assad’s brutal dictatorship were not systematically rounded up and killed over time.

Who cares and if we did care what can the public do anything to change the current lack of political shittyness protocol. Im fed up of it all we would be better off by being governed by badgers or clarris cliff milk jugs.
Perhaps we could be governed by Clarris Cliff milk jugs featuring badgers.

I suspect that whatever it is will be no more than a slap on the wrist for Assad and his backers.

It is "why can't we use nuclear weapons?" Trump and his new conscience and voice of sanity John Bolton calling this one. Russia has indicated it will respond militarily if it loses people, so we are not out of worry range yet.

It is "why can't we use nuclear weapons?" Trump and his new conscience and voice of sanity John Bolton calling this one. Russia has indicated it will respond militarily if it loses people, so we are not out of worry range yet.

Don't forget the influence of Mike 'End Times' Pence and the White House Bible study group.

And on the other side, we have "Aleksandr Gelyevich Dugin (Russian: Алекса́ндр Ге́льевич Ду́гин; born 7 January 1962) is a Russian political analyst, strategist and philosopher known for his fascist views,[5][6][7] who calls to hasten the "end of times" with all-out war.[8][9][10][11][12] He has close ties with the Kremlin and the Russian military,[13][14] having served as an advisor to State Duma speaker Gennadiy Seleznyov[15] and key member of the ruling United Russia party Sergei Naryshkin.[16] ... After breaking with Limonov, he became close to Yevgeny Primakov and later to Vladimir Putin's circle.[21]"

Lots of nutcases out there.

Though Macron has suggested that they'll just target Syrian chemical facilities so I think we'll be alive to see 2019...

Hopefully they will remember that the good book says "God has no wish that any man should be destroyed.He wishes that all men should come to repent" 2 Peter 31st 9

I think many Merkins, including the current shower in the WH, are rather more Old Testament than New Testament, alas.

I think many Merkins, including the current shower in the WH, are rather more Old Testament than New Testament, alas.
This is very true - the idea that America is a sort of latter-day version of Biblical Israel, a nation devoted to God and separate from the pagan world around it (and punished when it goes astray), is very strong. Lip service is paid to Jesus and his teachings, but the "Christian Nation" idea (somewhat of a contradiction in terms) is the main thing.

There is a strand of this belief called Dominionism, which believes that "Christian" folk have to take over the government, essentially establishing the Kingdom of God on earth for Jesus to return to. This can be seen in the home schooling movement, the "Christian" colleges, etc. etc., all raising foot soldiers for the movement.

Option one, though not to please Trump or Labour rebels.
Dead cert.

Voting against this, will not prevent it i'm afraid
This has been brewing for a few weeks since the attack in Salisbury..

Going to War with Trump, based on info from where, sounds worse to me than going to war with Bush, based on on info from where.

May to go down as worst PM of all time. If we are all still alive to write the history books.

I predict it will be like the Proportionate Response in the West Wing. Lots of posturing, lots of strong words, then a couple of airfields will be bombed.

This is very true - the idea that America is a sort of latter-day version of Biblical Israel, a nation devoted to God and separate from the pagan world around it (and punished when it goes astray), is very strong. Lip service is paid to Jesus and his teachings, but the "Christian Nation" idea (somewhat of a contradiction in terms) is the main thing.

There is a strand of this belief called Dominionism, which believes that "Christian" folk have to take over the government, essentially establishing the Kingdom of God on earth for Jesus to return to. This can be seen in the home schooling movement, the "Christian" colleges, etc. etc., all raising foot soldiers for the movement.

The main justification for the genocide of native Americans (and their continuing persecution) is that Christians are superior to savages.
Fast forward to today, same MO, different location.

advertisement

Back