advertisement

Will streamers disappear?

TLS

pfm Member
With high performance affordable asynchronous USB dacs appearing why would you need a streamer? All is needed is a laptop or a mac mini to hold the music library and feed a USB dac with the digital output you want.

Not complicated enough to sound good?

Meh, don't want laptop or mac mini in playback chain. Been there and am a confirmed streamer user now.

With high performance affordable asynchronous USB dacs appearing why would you need a streamer? All is needed is a laptop or a mac mini to hold the music library and feed a USB dac with the digital output you want.

Not complicated enough to sound good?

Agreed.

In that great interview with Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, Steve admitted that Microsoft was the first company to realise it was about the software and not the hardware. It's still the same today, which is why Sonos have succeeded in numbers where the AURALiC Aries (DSD streamer due soon) will have to the make the software and hardware argument to be successful.

Peter

I belive streamers will stay a niche product. (maybe for the "computer challanged" people out there)
A computer gives a user more flexibility and also the ability to do video playback, mail, youtube, facebook and what have you.
User interfaces is getting better everyday. And anyone can get it runing today.
Buy a MacMini, install XBMC or similar and you are set.

I belive streamers will stay a niche product. (maybe for the "computer challanged" people out there)...

I wouldn't consider myself "Computer challenged" but I no more wish to configure my music player to play music than I wish to configure my car to turn left.

Computers that look like computers should die a death as quickly as possible in the consumer world.

It's also why I have an iPhone and not an Android or Windows "phone" (though to be fair they're catching up).

Chances are both will continue to co-exist for the foreseeable future. Streamers appeal to a different set of music lovers to a computer+DAC solution. If anything, the proliferation of companies putting their digital toes in the streaming waters at this year's CES suggests streaming is not going anywhere for a while.

I don't think the availability of cheaper USB converters will hold much sway over prospective streaming customers. High performance, low cost USB converters have been around for at least five years now, and in that time streaming has significantly increased its market share year on year.

The computer is going the way of the 'electric' light: before long half the items you own will be smart. I suspect standalone streamers will only exist as high-end products within a decade. Most cheap DACs will have integrated processors. Integration, integration, integration.

In the meantime, until the pre-PC, pre-web generation dies off, there will continue to be a market for disguised computers.

While streamers are ~UKP2000, they are very profitable for what is really a single board pic running Linux and maybe a disk drive

I don't ever want to have a laptop plugged in next to my HIFI for my tunes thank you, a streamer that can be seamlessly controlled by my phone or iPad is very appealing and is what I have been using for over five years now. I know I'm not alone here, I think streamers are safe for the foreseeable future. Oh and just to add, I can send all audio from my computer to it.

I don't ever want to have a laptop plugged in next to my HIFI for my tunes thank you, a streamer that can be seamlessly controlled by my phone or iPad is very appealing and is what I have been using for over five years now. I know I'm not alone here, I think streamers are safe for the foreseeable future. Oh and just to add, I can send all audio from my computer to it.

Well don't then. Why use a laptop?
My NetTop is the size of a DVD case, controllable by phone iPad and a nifty little handheld keypad with trackball.
I do miss the SONOS still , integration with spotify, radio and playlists from my nas

Chances are both will continue to co-exist for the foreseeable future. Streamers appeal to a different set of music lovers to a computer+DAC solution. If anything, the proliferation of companies putting their digital toes in the streaming waters at this year's CES suggests streaming is not going anywhere for a while.

I don't think the availability of cheaper USB converters will hold much sway over prospective streaming customers. High performance, low cost USB converters have been around for at least five years now, and in that time streaming has significantly increased its market share year on year.

Yes, streaming has increased in the last few years but in the end, isn't the best solution the one that offer the best value? Computers + dac can replace many boxes, cables and are easily ameliorated with a simple software upgrade.

It would be different if streamers did prove to have better sq. but it does not seem to be the case actually.

I'm waiting for a popular streamer to get a malware problem. They are just computers with an Internet connection and with no attempt at software security patching from the vendor - asking for trouble

Isn't a dedicated streamer purchase taking the fast track to obsolescence? Computers are commodity-priced items now, an upgrade every few years won't be nearly as painful as replacing a streamer which will have no resale value as soon as the next technological step comes along.

For the price of an NDS, for example, I'd hope for something a little more "future-proof".

Here's my Daphile (www.daphile.com) Server&Streamer, it's the tiny box on top of the amp. It has an internal 500GB disk, but I needed more, so that is hooked up via Network.

I think this pic pretty much answers the question. In this setup it is hooked up via Coax SPDIF to an oldschool Morgan Audio Deva DAC, in another setup I have a HighRes USB Dac connected.

daphile-lavardin.jpg

A NAS in a seperate room & a streamer. It really doesn't get any simpler.

My hi fi system is now a one box system.

Chris

Streamers are so early 2000. As the impact of low-cost embedded SFF machines sinks home, they will vanish as standalone devices - absorbed into DACs, preamps and amplifiers.

From my personal experience a dedicated streamer "sounds" better than a standard computer (although I've not tried a Mac Mini yet) - however - I've never bothered to soup up and fine tune a computer to the nth degree (take a look on the JPlay website to see how far you can go!).

A solid streamer like a Yamaha CD-N500 or Marantz NA 7004 already have the good quality power supplies, no moving parts, SQ optimisations, decent S/PDIF connectivity, so you don't need to bother faffing around with upgrades - and you have dedicated software for playing the music without sharing it's resources to compete with IO operations elsewhere.

advertisement

Back