advertisement

WiiM Room Correction

Jubal

pfm Member
Looking at the Pro plus in the classifieds. Has anyone had good results or otherwise with the room correction feature recently released?

TIA

Looking at the Pro plus in the classifieds. Has anyone had good results or otherwise with the room correction feature recently released?

TIA
Using the iPhone mic for doing corrections is not optimal.
In my opinion, its the 10 PEQ functionality thats really special for the WiiM.
If one measures the speakers in the correct way ( below 200 Hz at listening position and 1 meter away from the speaker measuring each speaker between 200-20000 Hz ) using a good measurement microphone and REW, one can have really good results using PEQ.

Using the iPhone mic for doing corrections is not optimal.
In my opinion, its the 10 PEQ functionality thats really special for the WiiM.
If one measures the speakers in the correct way ( below 200 Hz at listening position and 1 meter away from the speaker measuring each speaker between 200-20000 Hz ) using a good measurement microphone and REW, one can have really good results using PEQ.
Is this what you’ve done with your WiiM? Talk me through it. Thanks.

I’m still interested in an unbiased PFMer’s verdict. The WiiM forum is all fine and good.
I do room correction through my Rme with a umik and rew.
Kind of inspired by this thread I had a go at the onboard auto room correction,with an actual properish listening test,not just a wow it’s wonderful.
Cd has always sounded way better than the Wiim,so done the correction through it,quick and really easy.
End result is I couldn’t tell the difference between two of the same masters,2018 animals by Pink Floyd (obviously with eq turned off on the Rme for Wiim.So maybe my rewing wasn’t so good? Going to loop the cd player through the Wiim and see if that’s better than my REWing,will update at some point.

Is this what you’ve done with your WiiM? Talk me through it. Thanks.
Sorry, but noone can talk you through it. It took me three years of measurements and reading to know how to do it. You have to try and make mistakes and learn from them. First of all you need to know that the microphone is not functioning the same as two ears with a brain. Read about the precedence effect, the schroeder frequency and buy a real measurement microphone with an interface.

Secondly, You have to understand that most room correction programs are salespoints, not neccessary functioning the way they say. Many of them makes the sound worse than without.

” Measuring loudspeakers ” part 1-7 by John Atkinsson is a good start, free online:

Edit: The room correction program in WiiM using an iphone is a salespoint, the 10 band PEQ function is not.

Sorry, but noone can talk you through it. It took me three years of measurements and reading to know how to do it. You have to try and make mistakes and learn from them. First of all you need to know that the microphone is not functioning the same as two ears with a brain. Read about the precedence effect, the schroeder frequency and buy a real measurement microphone with an interface.

Secondly, You have to understand that most room correction programs are salespoints, not neccessary functioning the way they say. Many of them makes the sound worse than without.

” Measuring loudspeakers ” part 1-7 by John Atkinsson is a good start, free online:

Edit: The room correction program in WiiM using an iphone is a salespoint, the 10 band PEQ function is not.
I have opened a wormhole! Thank you I think.

Jubai, there is a wiim forum, where hopefully they wont be so condescending

There is also HouseCurve for ipad that looks interesting. I think for the average joe these little tools may well help tame some room issues. Personally I found REW impenetrable and therefore not fun to use and therefore never used. Good job its free though!

Jubai, there is a wiim forum, where hopefully they wont be so condescending

There is also HouseCurve for ipad that looks interesting. I think for the average joe these little tools may well help tame some room issues. Personally I found REW impenetrable and therefore not fun to use and therefore never used. Good job its free though!
There is always audiotools for iPad ( much easier to work with than REW but its not for free ) and one can then use the 10 PEQ to make the corrections.

advertisement

Back