advertisement

WiiM Mini Audio Streamer £76.48 at Amazon

It can't be long until the Pro is available - Roon and Chromecast support...

Priced at CDN$129 over here. Still a pretty good deal considering the lack of availability and uptick in Raspberry Pi prices.

<moderating>

I’m all in favour of highlighting deals on Amazon, but please put the link in when you do so! No link and pfm doesn’t get paid.

PS I’ve obviously edited and added it to the OP.

I am tempted to grab one but it only has a digital optical output and my DAC/CD player has a usb input only.

Has anyone found a good quality (and cheap!) optical to usb converter with their Wiim streamer?

I am tempted to grab one but it only has a digital optical output and my DAC/CD player has a usb input only.

Has anyone found a good quality (and cheap!) optical to usb converter with their Wiim streamer?

This does not make a lot of sense really, sounds like a cludge just get a streamer with USB.

This does not make a lot of sense really, sounds like a cludge just get a streamer with USB.

I should have clarified. I have an rpi4 as a streamer already - which feeds Spotify via usb into my Rega Isis (which is usb only).

Being a tight wad I wanted to sign up to Amazon HD for CD quality streaming - cheaper than Spotify and better. Cant find a way to get Amazon HD into the rpi4 therefore hoping to sell the rpi4 and replace with the Wiim that does work with Amazon Hd. If I go to Wiim then I have the optical only issue.

Last edited:
Got one about 2 weeks ago, great bit of kit. Replaced a dodgy old Sonos unit, the app is great but it connects directly to Spotify so you don't even need the app most of the time. Toslink out to my Topping D50S and it is all the digital I'll ever need.

I should have clarified. I have an rpi4 as a streamer already - which feeds Spotify via usb into my Rega Isis (which is usb only).

Cant my find a way to get Amazon HD into the rpi4 therefore hoping to sell the rpi4 and replace with the Wiim that does work with Amazon Hd.

Its not that often I use Amazon Music but I go the long way round.....
I go to the Amazon Web on my Macbook, my Rasp Pi has PiCore/LMS and the the Shairport Sync plug in.
I change the speakers output on my Mac to the PiCorePlayerName ( Mine is called HiFiPi) and stream away to main system. Bit long winded and it looses some of the resolution along the way but it works. There are probably better ways....ho hum

Being a tight wad I wanted to sign up to Amazon HD for CD quality streaming - cheaper than Spotify and better. Cant my find a way to get Amazon HD into the rpi4 therefore hoping to sell the rpi4 and replace with the Wiim that does work with Amazon Hd. If I go to Wiim then I have the optical only issue.
Ah fair enough! I am a roon bitch boy so this would be no good for me. Not that I would have a use for one right now

Got mine up and running in our log cabin. Very impressed so far, although it’s only running via an old Denon mini system currently.

I can’t get voice commands to work on Alexa though, despite the fact that the Wiim Mini is showing in the Alexa app.

IDK, but some of my stuff thats what you have to do, i.e. 'Alexa, tell Hive to boost heating'

If I tell it just to boost heating it does not know what I am on about.

lol!

I’m thinking it might be faulty but have raised a ticket with Wiim. Have to say I’m gobsmacked at what it can do for the money, much more EQ adjustments than on my Node2i too.

I need to try it into my main rig! Can’t imagine it will match the Node as that has a Fidelity Audio psu but we will see.

Ah - so it doesn’t have a microphone, you need to link it to an Alexa speaker that does. Shame and compromises my use of it tbh.

advertisement

Back