advertisement

WIFI Powerline adaptor noise through HIFI

Isn't leaving it all switched on asking for trouble when the supply has a brownout? At least when you power up, you can turn your equipment on in the right sequence.

A little bit of dc on the output of your power amp/integrated is causing the pop at the speakers.

To be 100% safe just unplug the red wire on each speaker.

And be happy in the knowledge that if you turn your gear off then your capacitors are aging much less slowly, helping you avoid those increased Naim service costs.

@DAPPER I've had a thought about your ethernet cables. Most wireless WiFi range extenders have ethernet outlet socket. If one was connected at the house end it could feed the cable to the outbuilding. So long as you have power near the end of the cables it is independent of any work in the house. Depending on your requirements a network switch or WiFi access point at the outbuilding will give your devices access to your network.

thanks ccTaylor. I tried a few wifi range extenders from the house, signal doesnt get through to outbuilding, possibly due to outbuilding being half underground.

@DAPPER What I'm suggesting is that you plug one of your cables into the socket on an extender. It simply will be acting as a receiver then putting the signal down the wire to the outbuilding. People use extenders in this way to connect to devices that don't have WiFi.

If you have a suitable extender with an ethernet outlet lying around it should be relatively easy to try this with some extra ethernet cables and sockets at each end and a suitable device with an ethernet input to try in the outbuilding.

@DAPPER What I'm suggesting is that you plug one of your cables into the socket on an extender. It simply will be acting as a receiver then putting the signal down the wire to the outbuilding. People use extenders in this way to connect to devices that don't have WiFi.

If you have a suitable extender with an ethernet outlet lying around it should be relatively easy to try this with some extra ethernet cables and sockets at each end and a suitable device with an ethernet input to try in the outbuilding.

Have used exactly that setup for an outbuilding - extender in range of the router > ethernet cable from extender to device in wifi 'blind spot'
Works a treat.

Is this an issue that primarily plagues Naim systems? Every time I see a thread about system noise it seems to be a Naim system.

Is this an issue that primarily plagues Naim systems? Every time I see a thread about system noise it seems to be a Naim system.
I have the same problem with the Radford amps I have, but only became aware of the problem with new, much more sensitive speakers. Strangely a Leak ST20 doesn't suffer any breakthrough from the same ethernet mains adapter; it is very strange.

Last edited:
Used to use powerlines with no noise but now back on Wi-Fi. The idea to use your existing installed Ethernet cables plugged directly into a mesh extender at either end seems to be solid advice

Mine is a Rega (source components) and Naim pre-power. No noise issues with a Netgear PLW1000 power-line wi-fi adapter.

advertisement

Back