advertisement

Why would these work?

Russ Andrews can scratch the exact same audiophile itch for £532 less. Technically, there may occasionally be devices that are designed badly-enough to merit shorting the inputs to ground via a bleed resistor (which I'm 99% sure is what these will be doing), but even then I'm unconvinced you'd actually hear the benefit.

Aside from the price, these big, long, heavy lumps wagging-around on the back of electronics look like the perfect way to damage the PCBs on devices where the socketry is soldered directly to the board...

It's been years since I last attended a hifi show - do Chord electronics still sound as ear-shreddingly awful as they did 20 years ago? Perhaps they need this stuff?

It's been years since I last attended a hifi show - do Chord electronics still sound as ear-shreddingly awful as they did 20 years ago? Perhaps they need this stuff?

The last time I was in a Chord Electronics demo the music was so loud I had to leave, so it might have been awful or excellent for all I know. (By contrast, in the Hegel room the volume was so low I could barely hear the music).

I went to the Bristol show three years running, with diminishing returns on each visit*. With rare exceptions, the rooms were full of shite music played too loud with salespeople talking over it.

* On the first visit I got a free pair of earphones, and the rooms were less crowded.

Yes i cant stand them playing it so loud , puts you off going . Perhaps they are frustrated night club attendees

Ah yes the self defeating HiFi shows.

One time I went to Bristol, years ago now when the Naim classic power amp series first came out, they had the new CDS3 connected to a 52 and the new range of power amps from 250-2 up to 500.

I made the dreadful mistake of going to that room first and they had it so loud my ears shut down for the entire rest of that day and most of the next. Needless to say the whole show was ruined for me!

Other years I've heard the classic and 500 series sounding variously brilliant and terrible, often in different rooms at the same event. Full chord systems always sounding terrible. Quad systems similar but Kef & Meridian always sounding good. Living voice usually sounded about the best when they had that Kuzma TT but not so much with the SME.

The overarching result was normally either "Thank God I don't own any of that crap" or when I did rarely think something might be as good or better than my own system then I certainly couldn't afford it.

rQKawbc3jAyAw9jduRaY4C-970-80.jpg

Looks like a fun and uneconomical way to mechanically strain your preamp inputs!
Yes, the price includes plenty of leverage.

Russ Andrews can scratch the exact same audiophile itch for £532 less. Technically, there may occasionally be devices that are designed badly-enough to merit shorting the inputs to ground via a bleed resistor (which I'm 99% sure is what these will be doing), but even then I'm unconvinced you'd actually hear the benefit.

Aside from the price, these big, long, heavy lumps wagging-around on the back of electronics look like the perfect way to damage the PCBs on devices where the socketry is soldered directly to the board...

The blurb from the RA site is fascinating to me. I’m a mechanical engineer by training and have only a very basic working knowledge of electrical engineering. Is any of that stuff that they talk about true or even possible?

The blurb from the RA site is fascinating to me. I’m a mechanical engineer by training and have only a very basic working knowledge of electrical engineering. Is any of that stuff that they talk about true or even possible?

Some of the devices they sell are potentially beneficial - decent mains conditioners can be helpful to how some kit sounds and the surge arrestors may protect it from damage, but a lot of it is of extremely marginal benefit - negligibly beneficial placebo for the sufferer from upgradeitis - and the jargon and gibberish really alienates the more rationally-minded.

Flipside is his stuff is at least safe nowadays, and it's keeping some people in the UK in work.

I'm a fooskeptick, so when I saw, a while ago, butt-plugs in the unused sockets of a very very very very expensive phono preamp which shall remain nameless, with 3 pairs of inputs, I thought the foo-peddlers had been at work and took the plugs out. Instantly the active input started to hum, not at foo level, but a big roaring hum so that I could barely hear the vacuum cleaner. I had little time to investigate, but I could not find a soulution.

My guess is that if you think you need these to reduce hum, something else is wrong and you are probably better to fix problem at source.

advertisement

Back