advertisement

Why not more experience stores? Rega?!

As a general thought - it's only the expensive boxes that seem to generate enough revenue to cover the rent. A way for low-cost audio manufacturers to demonstrate their product with a low overhead would be a damned good step forward. Ideally a static site, so a reputation could be built up. I really fancy a coffee right now, and someone queing up some new music behind the counter.

As long as the place doesn't attract too many of those fake lumberjacks... and none of them brings a Crosley Cruiser in for a comparitive listen.

I really fancy a coffee
Mee too.

So, if we ditch the word ‘experience’ we might have something to work with.

I went to a Hifi show in Paris recently. It was rammed, hot, I didn’t speak to anyone. Tricky with a mask. I did buy a Bill Withers MoFi record though and heard a top end Rega system. But the coffee was horrible and the food was beige.

I think that on a budget a brand could do a small showroom for 7k a month including rent and staff. With about a 25k fit out.

But like someone said earlier why mess with a proven winning formula for brands like Rega.

I must add, one of the reasons the shoe brand Vans beat Converse in sales was because they opened free concept spaces with a skate park, gallery, bar, music venue etc. There is one behind Waterloo Station.

The reality is that the real hifi market is tiny. So the potential customer base for any "experience" store within a reasonable traveling distance is probably not enough to make it viable. I don't think Rega could afford a vanity project of this type.

Just think of staffing costs for a start, take a reasonable salary for a minimum of 3 staff, add at least 40% for NI contributions, Pensions etc. That's a big number to start with and something we can all put a figure to. Now the premises costs, rent, rates, insurance and it quickly becomes a loss leader because there is no way to shift enough gear to cover the costs

I'm not a Naim/Focal fan, but I came across the following video yesterday. I've never been in an audio store this extensive.

(The Naim/Focal Experience starts around the 7 min mark)

Is the idea of an "Experience" store not more about lifestyle products, IE aspirational mega bucks stuff to fill your ghastly looking no-taste house with? I'm not sure Rega is aimed at them nor would it appeal.

Experience" store not more about lifestyle products, IE
Dyson have done it well. And Vans.

The point is how do you create loyalty and future customers - also they don’t measure themselves just in revenue. Most of them don’t sell any product. it’s a long term play.

I guess what does a dealership look like in 20 years? Shifting boxes for couriers to pick up?

I picked Rega as an example because I’ve got their products and love them. I just think they could spread their message to a wider audience who dislike dealerships.

Do Bose still do their own outlets, friend used to work in one in southsea few years back, not sure if still exists.
I’ve seen a couple. Not sure about their stereo stuff but Iwas astounded at the price of their av with their tinny diffusive sound. Not for me.

I'm not a Naim/Focal fan, but I came across the following video yesterday. I've never been in an audio store this extensive.

(The Naim/Focal Experience starts around the 7 min mark)

I really like the set up there.Very intelligent.

They kind of exist already via our better dealer network.

Take a dealer like Cheshire Audio where the focus is on just a handful of audio companies, you can pretty much walk in and listen to anything Rega, Exposure or Neat since all is on permanent display and the guy running the place has the breadth of knowledge required.

advertisement

Back