Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not more experience stores? Rega?!

Discussion in 'audio' started by benjaminreed1, Nov 19, 2021.

1. paul darwin

paul darwin Trade: Rega Research

It is not in the nature of the company to exhibit our products in this way, we support independent retailers with multi brand portfolios to actively encourage comparative demonstrations at various price performance levels, installation (where appropriate) and after sales support on a localised level. Many brands have tried the solus / experience stores and without exception they have failed (Linn, Meridian, B and O, Panasonic, Sony, Bose and I believe Devialet) as the cost is prohibitive and the returns appear too little to support the operation. Funnily, over the years we have actively discouraged some of our retailers from pursuing such a sales model as a solus Rega store.

2. h.g.

h.g. Retired

This seems to be fairly close to what is on offer at audio shows. Setting aside covid, the smaller scale audio shows seem fairly healthy at the moment and many of the smaller manufacturers without a significant show room presence seem to assign them a significant part of their marketing budget.

benjaminreed1 likes this.
  3. benjaminreed1

benjaminreed1 Benjamin Reed

Ok great insight.

I’ll put my Rega Vinyl Coffee Shop idea on hold for the time being

4. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

A simple test: does the experience include Jimi Hendrix? If not, forget it.

5. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Multiple manufacturers have tried this in the UK over the years, Panasonic, Sony and B&O the ones that first spring to mind. I think with the increasing number of “lifestyle” products these days it’s a great way to draw in more new customers especially those who wouldn’t likely appear in a hifi store!

6. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I remember Linn having a boutique shop in Princess Square (a high-class shopping centre in the centre of town for those unfamiliar). It's long gone!

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Trying to envisage a Rega experience store, it would probably be very normcore & rather earnest.

8. paul darwin

paul darwin Trade: Rega Research

Nah, Norm and Earnest left the building years ago ;);)

9. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

Didn't Linn have a portable cabin that they used to assemble as shows for a while?

[​IMG]

10. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

Don't you mean a Kabin?

11. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Ariston had one first!

12. ArtK

ArtK I bite you!

This^^^

13. benjaminreed1

benjaminreed1 Benjamin Reed

It would be nice to have an artisan coffee and buy some vinyl at the same time though

Del monaco likes this.
  14. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

And a nice nod to the fellow travellers in record shops at the end.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  15. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

Do Bose still do their own outlets, friend used to work in one in southsea few years back, not sure if still exists.

Del monaco likes this.
  16. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Great idea, needs a LP sale section as well though.

17. yespsb

yespsb pfm Member

I think I would prefer a trip to the dentist than a trip to any "experience" store. Please excuse my language but the experience store concept is marketing bollox

18. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Cher....

19. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

Yep. The idea of the "experience" store implies a kind of hubris or conceit that the customer need only, er, experience us.

It's a compliment to say that Rega are the last I'd expect to entertain that.

20. Subito

Subito pfm Member

But Rega could have a full-size animatronic of Roy standing by the door, so every time some trendoid entered Roy could just roll his eyes and sigh. :)