advertisement

Why most recent amplifiers don't have the ground pin on their sockets?

gerlando

Prog Rocker
I'm noticing that most recent amplifiers (e.g. Rega, Arcam, Marantz) don't have the ground pin on their sockets anymore.

Why did they remove them unlike their older models?

Thank you.
Mauro

I'm noticing that most recent amplifiers (e.g. Rega, Arcam, Marantz) don't have the ground pin on their sockets anymore.

Why did they remove them unlike their older models?

Thank you.
Mauro

It's cheaper, that's the only reason...and dangerous and H+S should be after all of them. It's not recent, there's a 2 pin plug (no earth) on my ancient Cambridge Audio amp - that's 40 years old...:eek:

It's cheaper, that's the only reason...and dangerous and H+S should be after all of them. It's not recent, there's a 2 pin plug (no earth) on my ancient Cambridge Audio amp - that's 40 years old...:eek:
Why dangerous? Surely it's double-insulated?

They will be double insulated, as indicated by the box within a box symbol on the rear. Safe as anything else.

In a world where all sorts of gear is hooked together not referencing mains earth will reduce the chances of buzzes and hums and grumpy customers. Presumably.

Denons also do not have. And their supplied power cables cannot be used somewhere else by that reason.

Had a turntable hum because one of amplifiers had ground pin and other equipment not, all connected into one system with rca and coax cables.

advertisement

Back