Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is so difficult to download photos

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by mole0937, Oct 3, 2021.

1. mole0937

mole0937 pfm Member

I know there are a few members who have no trouble , but they’re are many who do have trouble , why’s it so complicated , this is the only sight I have trouble downloading , there must be a easier way .I know and realise my age ( 75 ) doesn't help but the lack of photos by other members must prove my point.
    If this needs moving please move to correct forum

2. Neil P

Neil P pfm Member

Do you mean adding photos to forum posts? Are you using windows?

3. GruntPuppy

GruntPuppy pfm Member

It's not the easiest, but it's not that difficult to upload photos. By having the photos hosted on a third-party website (and thereby someone else's server) Tony is able to significantly cut the storage requirements for the site. It makes sense.

I use www.snag.gy (it got renamed, but the original url still works) as an easy site to upload pics to. Are you on a PC by any chance?

4. zippy

zippy pfm Member

I used to use Imgur but I had only about a 50% success rate - sometimes the links just didn't work.

5. mole0937

mole0937 pfm Member

This is proving my point , On Wigwam , I go to my photos click on photo , that’s it done.

6. mole0937

mole0937 pfm Member

Neil P
    Yes Neil , it’s so frustrating , surely the committee or whoever has the power can make it easier , how many adds are there saying ‘“ can email photos”.
    To us older members it is as said ,”frustrating and annoying”.

keiron99 likes this.
  7. flutteringwow

flutteringwow Platinum Ears

It's pretty old fashioned for a forum not to have its own photo housing, the new Wam software does allow it, the old one didn't.

Its pretty easy to upload photos though. I presume you mean upload rather than download.

Just use this

https://imgbb.com/

and then copy the BB code, and paste it into your forum post.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It also really helps from a GDPR/legal perspective as it’s a whole class of personal information that has nothing to do with me legally. Linking to images is no issue for anyone even remotely computer literate and instructions can be found in the FAQ in the reference area. I have a flickr Pro account myself, but many other options exist, including many free ones.

nmtjb and Mynamemynaim like this.
  9. mole0937

mole0937 pfm Member

I’ll try it thanks

10. mole0937

mole0937 pfm Member

Don’t wholly agree , but I see nothing is going to change .

11. slawekt

slawekt pfm Member

I use imgur which it's free, you can edit and make changes to the photo and compared to the WAM there is only single additional step - paste direct link in your post , on the WAM and elsewhere still you need to find photo on the hard drive , upload and then paste or point to it in your post .

nmtjb likes this.
  12. Goldenmouse

Goldenmouse pfm Member

It really isn’t that difficult to host photos elsewhere (I use a free flickr account) and I fully understand Tony’s reasons for trying to keep the forum hosting as streamlined as possible, both financially and legally.
    A bonus is that PFM has far less intrusive advertising than many other forums.

miktec likes this.
  13. effinity

effinity pfm Member

www.postimages.org is fairly straightforward, just ignore the ads, good to host a small number of photos before limit reached.
    Gives you a direct link which you can copy and paste into the ‘sun & mountain image icon’ above. (You’ll see the options when you create a thread or answer a post)

Easy to upload your photos from phone or computer to the postimage www

Try it and see.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    miktec likes this.
  14. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

Another user of postimg, brilliantly simple for numpties such as myself.

15. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

16. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Thanks for that explanation Tony, I’d never considered it from an Administrators point. One frustrating thing is seeing a small box with an X in it where I guess the link is broken or the pic no longer exists.

17. flutteringwow

People who also cant be bothered posting the actual image links so they show up automatically on the thread, instead oputting in the flickr web address links. Its the same amount of time people!

18. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Maybe it’s not can’t be bothered but don’t understand the process.
    As the thread title would suggest.

Linds likes this.
  19. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Personally, I just can't be bothered having to put the pictures on another hosting site then linking to them. I just don't bother posting pictures and am more inclined to use other forums. I use Facebook more than PInk Fish these days despite not liking the thread structure.

Internet sites which make your life harder than it has to be, die.

PerF, zippy and flutteringwow like this.
  20. flutteringwow

Learn?

It does make me wonder what these GDPR implications are, as its rare to find a site that dosen't house photos these days and I am sure they don't all have a legal team on hand dealing with it?

Mynamemynaim likes this.