advertisement

Why I insist on insurance

My best one was to watch a DHL driver kick a nice PT turntable which was packed, off the back of the lorry onto the road (about 4ft drop) and then try to say it wasn't damaged when he was at my door. Contents were smashed.

Beware, turntables are usually not insurable with many couriers but of course they will accept the premium. Look in the list of ‘prohibited items’. Saying that I did get compensated for one that got damaged in transit to me - though it may have been the sender caving in to my persistence to pursue the carrier (Parcelforce) to the bitter end!
Hermes insured with no issues was not on the list of exclusions but not sure that's still the case now - was last year

I Always find it ironic you have to pay a company not to lose or damage your goods while in their care lol .

Point taken, of course they should take every care with goods entrusted to them but accidents do happen and if they had to guarantee that uninsured goods would be compensated for if lost or damaged I suspect their charges would increase astronomically.
Perhaps it’s better as it is.

I had a large fridge freezer delivered by the suppliers delivery company
I watched as they parked the tail lift van on the (steep) camber of my road
A tall man and a short woman then dropped it off the tail lift onto the pavement as it over balanced
They then rang the door bell and tried to get me to sign for No Damage ... without inspection
My comment of " if I'd known the f**k krankies were delivering it I would have collected it myself" didn't go down that well it seemed......

I heard somewhere that industry standard for packaging states that it should be of a standard whereby the box can be dropped from waist height without damage! That’s possible with something light but once you ship goods with more weight/delicate parts this can prove almost impossible.

I do feel for those who work in this industry, they are often p are I’d poorly & treat with very little compassion. The examples of Hermes drivers dumping goods is actually because they don’t get paid for redeliveries so they need to get shut of the package. At least Royal Mail leave a card for you to collect the package.

The other end the spectrum, had a tall freezer delivered earlier this year from Argos. The two guys were ever so careful. Arrived on time. Must have taken about a dozen different photos before unwrapping after unwrapping etc. Took away all the packaging.

The other part of it is having it delivered to a shop to pick it up. I had a shop boy drop a box with a £200 bottle of whisky in it and held my breath. It was fine but have had a couple of occasions were bottles have been delivered with leaks from the tops being dropped.

I've been pretty lucky with hifi, though in the winter of 2009 I waited in every day for a pair of speakers to get picked up for what seemed like a month.

I stopped using Parcel Force years ago. They were by far the worst of the couriers despite not being cheap. I had parcels disappear for weeks, I think the record was just under a month, and Parcel Force would do nothing about it.

I've been using Hermies for a few years now. Yet to find out how well they handle a problem as I've not had one yet. Shipped quite a few turntables with no issues. As long as you pack them properly they'll be fine.

Guy sent me a turntable years ago, literally just sat it in a box. No packing, nothing. Was totally destroyed.
Complete opposite story. Hermes were pissing off about 10% of our customers. We post about 300 parcels a month, (which yielded about 30 complaints in our direction). So we sent a test package to ourselves, paying the extra £ for a signed delivery. The box was left under a bush and the company sent us a forged signature saying someone had signed for it.

Never had to deal with fraud with Parcelforce. And no lost parcels.

I'm in two minds about how to ship a synth. It's around 12Kg, has basically no moving parts, was CNC'd from a block of aluminium, and is encased in a polystyrene case around 20cm thick. I reckon you could drive a car over it and it'd be ok. So, what's the chances of it getting damaged by a courier?

I'm in two minds about how to ship a synth. It's around 12Kg, has basically no moving parts, was CNC'd from a block of aluminium, and is encased in a polystyrene case around 20cm thick. I reckon you could drive a car over it and it'd be ok. So, what's the chances of it getting damaged by a courier?

100% - those guys like a challenge!

advertisement

Back