advertisement

Why don't headphone amplifiers have an option partially to blend left and right?

Er, no, because (for the mostly-classical music I listen to, anyway) the recording was made for speakers. I don't use headphones because I cannot tolerate the outcome, which is having music inside my head. Experimentation with Meier crossfeed and other speaker-emulation DSP targetted at headphone users leads me to think that there may be hope if I am ever parked in a retirement home and made to give up my beloved Duevels...

I reckon that a SPL Phonitor 2 and a pair of Stax electrostatics might be my saviours, if it comes to that. Then I'll be content parked in my room 23 hours a day.

just a shame then SPL Phonitor and Stax are incompatible.

Interesting thread. I understand classical recording sessions are generally not monitored on headphones precisely because the soundstage is presented so differently - an exception sometimes being the producer who may require the additional detail headphones provide.

You can do cross-feed in the DSP options in Roon. Works really well and does move the image out of the head when using headphones to sound a bit more like speakers . Depends on the recording how well it works.

this what I do 40 hours a week. Love it

A few years ago, seemingly quite randomly, I found that when listening to headphones the soundstage, depth, etc suddenly jumped out of my head and was there in front of me. Holographic, as they say. Like listening to speakers. Apart from many hard panned sounds that seem to wrap around and exist only slightly outside of my lugholes. That is really very annoying, to the point where I have to stop listening.

I love having nothing between my ears (!) anymore, but hate the feeling that something is trying to crawl into them that the hard panning causes.

Would crossfeed help with this, does anyone think?

This seems like something that could be achieved relatively cheaply with a small project box, a female headphone jack, a male jack on a pigtail, and a few resistors. Sort of like how you make an inline attenuator but with cross linking instead of grounding the signals. Would it be safe for the headphone amp or power amp?

Maybe @Arkless Electronics can suggest a simple design with (I'm guessing) 4 resistors. :) I'd try it!

This seems like something that could be achieved relatively cheaply with a small project box, a female headphone jack, a male jack on a pigtail, and a few resistors. Sort of like how you make an inline attenuator but with cross linking instead of grounding the signals. Would it be safe for the headphone amp or power amp?

Maybe @Arkless Electronics can suggest a simple design with (I'm guessing) 4 resistors. :) I'd try it!
http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/x-feed.htm

https://www.sonneteer.com/product/headspacenew/?v=79cba1185463

Wow, maybe I have those parts laying around!

On second thought, I noticed the first link is for a device to go between the preamp/source and headphone amp. I don't use a headphone amp -- just integrated amps with headphone sockets. So something like the Sonneteer but DIY. :)

If there's enough interest then yes. Avoid that rock grotto thing!
A continuously variable unit, with a switch to remove all crossfeed when you don't want any, to go before the headphone amp would be what I have in mind.

If there's enough interest then yes. Avoid that rock grotto thing!
A continuously variable unit, with a switch to remove all crossfeed when you don't want any, to go before the headphone amp would be what I have in mind.
Heh, I don't have a headphone amp, so if I tried this out it would have to be something after the headphone socket or before the integrated...

One line level source only. Or put it in the tape monitor loop if you have one.
But is there an actual problem with a device that connects between the amp and the headphones?

If you put the device before the integrated then it will be in effect for headphones and speakers. And you will need a source switcher before it, which makes the preamp selector redundant.

If it is at all possible it seems like a much more viable product to put between the headphones and the amp.

But is there an actual problem with a device that connects between the amp and the headphones?

If you put the device before the integrated then it will be in effect for headphones and speakers. And you will need a source switcher before it, which makes the preamp selector redundant.

If it is at all possible it seems like a much more viable product to put between the headphones and the amp.

It is far better to put it between the source and headphone amp. It would have an off switch and it is not a product!
Consider it for use only with a headphone amp if convenience bothers you:rolleyes:

advertisement

Back