advertisement

Why do I need the opportunity to shop for 15 hours per day in non essential shops?

Time for some radical thought:
Can we have lower business rates for independent shops compared to chains ?
If you are the only butcher, baker, farm shop or fish shop within 10 (?) miles can you be rates/tax free up to £X turnover ?
Can we charge Amazon a FY tax for the pleasure of evading other taxes while making Bezos obscenely rich and destroying our High Streets ?
All of the above. Always difficult extracting tax from the likes of Amazon but worth a try.

Sheffield council had already done a deal with JL re profit related rates before they did the dirty. Ultimately a 100% of nothing is still nothing.

the only bricks and mortar shop I ve been to in over 2 years is the corner shop. Everything done online, inc clothed.

JL is rubbish now, customer service terrible, online offering terrible. They'll be gone in 2 years, hope they don't take Waitrose with them....although they might if Waitrose doesn't improve its app and range of stuff online.....now Ocado has ditched them, they need to up their game

grow your own maybe. first time for us last year mixed results, although the green tomato relish is delish. winter veg very successful so far, looks like we may get young brussel sprouts (will get them on a slow boil for xmas) spring cabbages, perpetual salad leaves, and kale for the last 3 months or so. we are so looking forward to this years attempts/failures, got some sowing going on and signs of life

Why would you look like a prat? You're a man spending time with his daughters doing what they want to do. You and all the other dads standing around bored in the children's clothing section aren't there for your own benefit, it's just what you do.

I know, I know. I'm just very self-conscious. (And it wasn't boredom so much as seeming to be looking at the lingerie section wherever I stood in the shop, so I ended up staring at the floor instead).

grow your own maybe. first time for us last year mixed results, although the green tomato relish is delish. winter veg very successful so far, looks like we may get young brussel sprouts (will get them on a slow boil for xmas) spring cabbages, perpetual salad leaves, and kale for the last 3 months or so. we are so looking forward to this years attempts/failures, got some sowing going on and signs of life

Yeah why do we need stuff from shops ?
Brexit and Covid have taken us back to the glory days of the 1940s.

I know, I know. I'm just very self-conscious. (And it wasn't boredom so much as seeming to be looking at the lingerie section wherever I stood in the shop, so I ended up staring at the floor instead).
Sounds like you needed to buy a magazine to while away the time. It's a useful prop too, all part of the scene.

Just been down to the local High Street since I had to get a new tyre for the car.

Hadn't been for a while and it's an absolute shocker. I'd guess well over half of the retail space is now empty or hosting a permanently closed down business, possibly more.

There's no way it will ever get back to what it was.

advertisement

Back