advertisement

Why do I need the opportunity to shop for 15 hours per day in non essential shops?

70% of all retail shopping is done face to face. Down from 80% pre Covid. It is a social activity, extended hours will help with potential over crowding & retailers will decide on their own hours. Many local shops already open for such long periods.

Really don’t understand how a negative slant can be put on this.

The pfm Massive's mantra is to negatively slant anything towards blaming the government (or the police) for all the ills of life :D

Post lockdown non essential shops seem to be allowed to extend their normal hours to 07:00 to 22:00.

Up to now the only thing I've been troubled by is the inability to get a new battery for my Seiko diver from Timpsons under their battery for life deal. (Free new battery with pressure test to 100m).

Why do they think shops need to be open for that long?

Surely they can't sell any more, and the chances are that they'll sell a great deal less due to most of us having found alternative supplies.

The other thing I need is new trousers which I can try on (got a bit fatter in lockdown).
Gives time for shoppers to choose their times to avoid clustering etc. Gives opportunity to shift stock that’s been lying around for months. Gives choice to consumers.

The pfm Massive's mantra is to negatively slant anything towards blaming the government (or the police) for all the ills of life :D
It’s laughable. If shop is open 15 hours doesn’t mean the same staff are working all the way through. Pubs can basically open for as long as they want in normal times, they tend to decide their own hours & even close on some days - how dare they etc;)

It’s laughable. If shop is open 15 hours doesn’t mean the same staff are working all the way through. Pubs can basically open for as long as they want in normal times, they tend to decide their own hours & even close on some days - how dare they etc;)
I think the OP asks the wrong question. Rather than ‘why is X being permitted?’ the obvious question, surely, is ‘why does X need to be restricted?’

Covid regulations are restrictive; aside from employee hours limits, the state should not interfere with any businesses’ right to opening hours to suit their own needs. So when the Covid need no longer requires the restriction, it must go. Otherwise, the state is overreaching.

I’ve always wondered what and who the ‘pfm massive’ is, it appears it is those who have contributed to this thread! They should all be ashamed of themselves?

the state should not interfere with any businesses’ right to opening hours to suit their own needs. So when the Covid need no longer requires the restriction, it must go. Otherwise, the state is overreaching.

Hopefully subject to some sensible local council planning enforcement/restrictions, with due consideration for those people who live around and above places of business.

I’ll welcome the opportunity to go to a shop when I can, Monday to Friday. Shops closing by 5pm is of no use at all to most people, and at weekends everywhere is packed.

Don’t charge for parking, allow shop owners to make their own decisions.
At least give it a go!

My local Asda is very quiet at 7.45pm on a Saturday evening. A good time for shopping if you want to avoid the crowds(we do online, but sometimes need to get essentials). If I can support local shops, but also go in when its non-peak times, that will do nicely thanks.

Something I heard about Norway:

They still have(had?) strict rules on when shops can be open, non covid related, (not on sundays and not in evenings). Some years ago the politicians suggested it should be deregulated. Guess who complained? The shops. It's an extra cost to have people working in the evenings, and honestly, why would you sell more?

Something I heard about Norway:

They still have(had?) strict rules on when shops can be open, non covid related, (not on sundays and not in evenings). Some years ago the politicians suggested it should be deregulated. Guess who complained? The shops. It's an extra cost to have people working in the evenings, and honestly, why would you sell more?
I work ‘normal’ hours. The shops are open while I’m at work. So that leaves the weekends, when everyone else goes too, because they were at work Monday to Friday, normal hours.
Have you been to a U.K. high street on a Monday or Tuesday morning (pre Covid)? Pretty dead. Allow them to decide for themselves how they should try it out, surely.

If I owned a shop with a couple of employees who really wanted the business to survive, I’m sure one or two late evenings per week with a couple of late openings would be fine.

Unfortunately the poor sods on minimum wages will end up being forced to work antisocial hours. Nothing will be said officially but the supermarkets make it very clear to staff that they are out the door if they don’t do as they are told. Seen it in action when I briefly worked for a large supermarket. Added to this is the availability of loads of people without jobs so they can pick and choose.

Unfortunately the poor sods on minimum wages will end up being forced to work antisocial hours. Nothing will be said officially but the supermarkets make it very clear to staff that they are out the door if they don’t do as they are told. Seen it in action when I briefly worked for a large supermarket. Added to this is the availability of loads of people without jobs so they can pick and choose.
The supermarkets can be open 24 hours already, except Sunday.

I’ve always wondered what and who the ‘pfm massive’ is, it appears it is those who have contributed to this thread! They should all be ashamed of themselves?

Oh lighten up for goodness sake and anyway... you’re only a fringe member ;)

Some choose to work abnormal hours, it wasn't a problem when we had 24 hour opening. I'm sure it's totally illegal to force anyone to do it and overtime after 40 hours is a WTD rule?

Must say lockdown has had zero effect on my shopping habits; i won't miss any of that c### stuck in the Suez.

I certainly think a lot of retailers ought to think long and hard about what they consider to be their "normal hours".

As others have said 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday is probably the least effective time to be open for most of them.

15:00 to 22:00 Monday to Friday would probably work a whole lot better.

I can't imagine many of them will be willing or able to pay even minimum wage over 15 hour days to staff mostly empty shops!

Other countries around the world have a substantially different approach, Eg in Malaysia & Singapore 11:00 to 22:00 seems to be the retail norm and it seems to work very well alongside the more normal hours for other businesses.

Other countries around the world have a substantially different approach, Eg in Malaysia & Singapore 11:00 to 22:00 seems to be the retail norm and it seems to work very well alongside the more normal hours for other businesses.

Is that mainly to avoid the hotter and more humid times of the day?
Saudi used to be 9 til 12, and 4 ish til rate, just for that reason.

Not so sure since if it was they'd start earlier and have a gap in the middle of the day - just Like Saudi.

It's mostly air conditioned anyway even down to the 7/11 shops.

There is a street market element which only seems to wake up in the evenings.

Mm, retailers eh, the vast majority of them really know what they are doing. Make big profits, keep supplying us food & essential goods. The rotters.

Morrisons recently pledged to pay staff £10 an hour, obviously that’s small beer for the vast majority on here but welcome to those less fortunate.

Can we make sure that someone posts a picture of people queuing outside Primark so we can all feel a little superior? These people & their shopping eh? Bet they’ve never even heard an LP12;)

advertisement

Back