advertisement

Why couldn't I love my RP6?

Nevertheless, I just could not stop thinking about alternatives to the RP6 and what could replace it

Big Rega fan, having owned most decks from them.

Alternatives...look at Technics Direct drive SL1200/1500 range.
These decks surpriced me sounding much better than expected, also easy swap cartridges with detachable headshell.

Big Rega fan, having owned most decks from them.

Alternatives...look at Technics Direct drive SL1200/1500 range.
These decks surpriced me sounding much better than expected, also easy swap cartridges with detachable headshell.

We have just lost our local Rega dealer so cart swapping might be come an issue if they are not replaced.

Technics are on my medium term radar for that reason.

Where would one get a properly fettled 124?

Peak Hi Fi, based near Barnsley.

Apologies in advance if this is considered too much of a deviation to this thread.
However, may I have the temerity to ask does that mean that 'Peak' is somewhere to purchase a 'fettled' 124 or somewhere to get one 'fettled'?
I'm not being semantic - I have one which needs 'fettling', but I'm extremely hestitant to attempt 'shipping' it outside the UK.
Sadly, the combination of deteriorating eyesight and shortage of time (advanced years) precludes any attempt at D.I.Y.
Regards
Mike K.

Apologies in advance if this is considered too much of a deviation to this thread.
However, may I have the temerity to ask does that mean that 'Peak' is somewhere to purchase a 'fettled' 124 or somewhere to get one 'fettled'?
I'm not being semantic - I have one which needs 'fettling', but I'm extremely hestitant to attempt 'shipping' it outside the UK.
Sadly, the combination of deteriorating eyesight and shortage of time (advanced years) precludes any attempt at D.I.Y.
Regards
Mike K.

Peak is the plastic used as a liner in some bearings.

Fettled means tweaked or adjusted.

Regards
Mike K.
Just trying to assist, so apologies if I get this more wrong than right ...

I believe @Woodface is probably talking about this lot https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/contact.shtml
They seem to be in Sheffield but since I am in Devon and Sheffield is close to Barnsley and all that is "just up country" to me I think I am now also in danger of going off piste ...
They do seem to have a love of older turntables and offer some upgrades so it would seem to be Woodface is likely spot on and they probably can help you with your required fettle, from their www site:
"Peak HiFi offer a wide range of quality essential accessories for the HiFi enthusiast. We also offer a wide range of services for the HiFi enthusiast including professional stylus examination, repairs and servicing of turntables, ultrasonic cleansing of records etc."

I had a RP6/exact combo. I wanted a P9 but couldn’t get one so settled for the RP6.

It was not one of my better decisions. I was never a fan of the P3. I can only conclude that a glass platter is not for me. The music just seems “wrong” to my ears and the RP6 was not the solution to the problem. Subsequently managed to purchase a P9 which put the music into focus; to my ears it was a superb table and I persuaded myself to go for a P10.

Then I discovered dd turntables……

Fellow RP6 owner here too.

Upgrades are sometimes contentious and the value proposition is debatable versus a wholesale deck upgrade, but I really like my yellow RP6.

Whilst not cheap, the Groovetracer reference subplatter and bearing notably improve noise floor.

The EBLT belt measurably improves speed stability and is excellent value.

Just trying to assist, so apologies if I get this more wrong than right ...
I believe @Woodface is probably talking about this lot https://www.peakhifi.co.uk/contact.shtm."

Thank you for your reply 'nobeone', you were correct, I was referring to 'Peak HiFi', given that there's no mention of the restoration of Thorens 124 t/tables on their website.
However, I now realise that it would have been better to have made an enquiry via telephone. Shaun Daniels was very helpful when I contacted him to order some 'sorbothene' balls to replace the 'squash' or more accurately described 'frequently squashed' balls for my 2 'Loricraft' plinths in 2018.
Regards
Mike K.

Fellow RP6 owner here too.

Upgrades are sometimes contentious and the value proposition is debatable versus a wholesale deck upgrade, but I really like my yellow RP6.

Whilst not cheap, the Groovetracer reference subplatter and bearing notably improve noise floor.

The EBLT belt measurably improves speed stability and is excellent value.

I've always seen the sub-platter arrangement as a big chink in the RP6's armour so, given the dearth of red turntables, the idea of pimping what I have does seems the easiest way to dissipate the funds I had earmarked for an upgrade. Groovetracer seem keen to tie a Delrin platter in with the deal, so waiting/hoping for a better dollar rate and buying as a package seems sensible.

if I did take the direction my mind has started to settle on: an LP 12 chassis in a custom red colour

the idea of pimping what I have does seems the easiest way to dissipate the funds I had earmarked for an upgrade

If you are thinking of pimping a Rega, and were thinking about the suspended LP12, how about adding some Bo!ng?
If you are thinking of pimping a Rega, and red is your thing, how about trying a red Collaro mat or if you want a change from felt a red Acromat?

I've always seen the sub-platter arrangement as a big chink in the RP6's armour so, given the dearth of red turntables, the idea of pimping what I have does seems the easiest way to dissipate the funds I had earmarked for an upgrade. Groovetracer seem keen to tie a Delrin platter in with the deal, so waiting/hoping for a better dollar rate and buying as a package seems sensible.

Just to note, the Groovertracer Reference sub-latter is for use with the Rega glass platter. They have other sub-platter models if you wish to use their Delrin platter.

I'm sure Delrin affects the sound of deck somewhat and it does have more mass too, but I didn't fancy the look. My thinking was to optimise the deck without changing it wholesale. Like you, I felt the included subplatter could be readily bettered.

If you are thinking of pimping a Rega, and were thinking about the suspended LP12, how about adding some Bo!ng?
If you are thinking of pimping a Rega, and red is your thing, how about trying a red Collaro mat or if you want a change from felt a red Acromat?

The turntable is sitting on 5 layers of Naim Fraim at the moment so reasonably well isolated. Now that I'm settled on Rega, i'd more likely go with a Rega specific wall mount than bounce.

Mats are somewhere I'd be happy to go to town so a white Acromat is tempting.

Just to note, the Groovertracer Reference sub-latter is for use with the Rega glass platter. They have other sub-platter models if you wish to use their Delrin platter.

I'm sure Delrin affects the sound of deck somewhat and it does have more mass too, but I didn't fancy the look. My thinking was to optimise the deck without changing it wholesale. Like you, I felt the included subplatter could be readily bettered.

I've re read and now understand, I need to decide on Delrin before I order a subplatter. Like you I think the glass looks good and, for better or worse, it is Rega's signature

The turntable is sitting on 5 layers of Naim Fraim at the moment so reasonably well isolated. Now that I'm settled on Rega, i'd more likely go with a Rega specific wall mount than bounce.
As you were considering an LP12 then I assumed you were interested in a suspended deck or the difference it could make. A "bouncy bouncy" deck (as the late Tom Fletcher described them) does sound different to the same deck with no suspension on the same support. However if Bo!ng does not float your boat, and it is a contrary direction for a Rega, say no more!

advertisement

Back