advertisement

Why Conservative?

Not all CEOs are entrepreneurs. Most are just some guy with an MBA and some connections.

Rather a lot in fact. Many don't even have an MBA.

Of course people at the top of their game should be rewarded. Of course successful entrepreneurs who've worked 80 hour weeks for the past decade to build a firm should be rewarded.

But things have gone seriously out of whack.

ceo-compensation-ratio-2016.png

You’re not getting it. It is irrelevant that it’s a real world example. The assumptions behind your argument about relative remuneration are rooted in neoliberal policy and, as Matthew reminds, the premise of that great right wing bible, Atlas Shrugged.

There’s also a counter argument that rewarding risk taking encourages more reckless risk taking. Look at what happened in 2008.

And you’re still ignoring that I’m not arguing that everybody should be paid equally. I’m arguing that the neoliberal approach undervalues some capabilities and jobs below their true value to society, and inflates others beyond their true value to society.
You see it in companies where the CEO stands to make millions in additional payments beyond his standard renumeration if chosen short term goals are reached, the emphasis being on short term. The chosen instrument to achieve this is payment of discretionary bonuses to the foot soldiers.
‘Sir’ Philip Green was an odious example of the breed. Once appointed as Dave Cam’s ‘Efficiency Tsar’ because he knew about keeping costs down, it was revealed his business model was a simple one- sucking the blood out of companies before discarding the corpse and offshoring the proceeds.

You’re not getting it. It is irrelevant that it’s a real world example. The assumptions behind your argument about relative remuneration are rooted in neoliberal policy and, as Matthew reminds, the premise of that great right wing bible, Atlas Shrugged.

There’s also a counter argument that rewarding risk taking encourages more reckless risk taking. Look at what happened in 2008.

And you’re still ignoring that I’m not arguing that everybody should be paid equally. I’m arguing that the neoliberal approach undervalues some capabilities and jobs below their true value to society, and inflates others beyond their true value to society.
I get it very well, thanks. I'm making no assumptions, I'm observing human nature and reporting from my own first-hand experience. You have to reward greater endaevour, greater contribution, and, yes, greater risk. All to an appropriate degree. To say otherwise is to sign up to the fundamental Marxist "from each/to each" ideology, which we all know does not work. I like my job, I work very hard and the rewards are not all monetary. However I am aware that I work bloody hard for what I do, with zero job security beyond being able to get another job, and I could just as well get a secure job 1 mile from home at Morrison's Head Office doing some food based technical job. I'd get sickpay, employment protection, pension, etc. One of the reasons I don't, and one of the reasons you will find me living in hotels, getting home at 8pm on Fridays, etc, is that my pay packet reflects the downsides and is generous enough to cover the voids, such as the 6 month hiatus due to Covid last year. Without that, forget it. I take a risk. That risk has a cost, and I have paid the price for that risk in terms of income voids, unpaid invoices, etc. I'm only taking that risk if the juice is worth the squeeze. Who would say otherwise?
Your other point that the current neoliberal approach undervalues some jobs and overvalues others, we all know. Tories gotta Tory. Like I said earlier, "You knew damn well I was a snake".
So, as ever, it's a question of degree.

Yes, absolutely. I would only add that pay inequality is baked into the neoliberal economic faith. On the one hand labour becomes a commodity in neoliberalism and finds it’s natural place in the free market. However, trade unions are an interference in the market and therefore seen as the ‘slippery path’ to totalitarianism. Both of these assumptions are false and add to wage inequality.

But the main problem is that neoliberalism creates unemployment as a deliberate policy. Neoliberalism, despite having tackling inflation as it’s primary objective, has actually created rampant inflation wherever it has been introduced, most notably in it’s main testing grounds in Chile, UK and US and the answer is each case is shock tactics that increase unemployment.

It is the tactic of creating massive unemployment and it’s modern day manifestation of underemployment, that has created wage inequality rather than valuing one component in the market over another.

Which is my rather long winded way of saying that the wage inequality is structural rather that moral.

I get it very well, thanks. I'm making no assumptions, I'm observing human nature and reporting from my own first-hand experience. You have to reward greater endaevour, greater contribution, and, yes, greater risk. All to an appropriate degree. To say otherwise is to sign up to the fundamental Marxist "from each/to each" ideology, which we all know does not work. I like my job, I work very hard and the rewards are not all monetary. However I am aware that I work bloody hard for what I do, with zero job security beyond being able to get another job, and I could just as well get a secure job 1 mile from home at Morrison's Head Office doing some food based technical job. I'd get sickpay, employment protection, pension, etc. One of the reasons I don't, and one of the reasons you will find me living in hotels, getting home at 8pm on Fridays, etc, is that my pay packet reflects the downsides and is generous enough to cover the voids, such as the 6 month hiatus due to Covid last year. Without that, forget it. I take a risk. That risk has a cost, and I have paid the price for that risk in terms of income voids, unpaid invoices, etc. I'm only taking that risk if the juice is worth the squeeze. Who would say otherwise?
Your other point that the current neoliberal approach undervalues some jobs and overvalues others, we all know. Tories gotta Tory. Like I said earlier, "You knew damn well I was a snake".
So, as ever, it's a question of degree.
But the question is not about people like you who are, by your own example, very well rewarded, it is about those who are not. We live under an ideology that has created underemployment, food banks and people working in public services who are forced to take on second and third jobs just to make ends meet.

One of the consequences of the extreme form of liberalism that we live under is that those who do well from the system have no one to congratulate but themselves, and those that fail have no one else to blame but themselves. Both are wrong. Those that succeed do so with on the backs of the component part of the system that is labour, and those that fail do so because structural and ideological supply side reforms to the economy undermine their ability to succeed.

To my mind as an outsider who has never wanted to play by either the corporate or mass-labour rules of the establishment, nor obviously those of communism, my problem with the current system is corruption and a flawed value structure rather than being conceptual. If you took the basic capitalist model but ensured those with money and power could not buy political parties (Conservative and Republican mainly, though Lab/Democrats are not in any way clean) I’d have very little issue with it.

The problem is the corruption: the fact some greasy pole climbing corporate psychopath can award themselves a multi-£million annual salary and even avoid paying tax on it if they make large enough political donations to right-wing parties to keep tax loopholes open etc. The fact such businesses are allowed to make such profits off the back of zero hour contract workers etc, again by buying corrupt conservative political parties. Same picture for environmental concerns etc.

The current system is fundamentally corrupt and entirely lacks either true democratic process or political accountability. It is all about grubby super-rich people paying grasping corrupt politicians for breaks. It is a kleptocracy, an oligarchy, and it can only survive as long as we have a system that returns entirely bent political parties such as the Conservatives or Republicans to power with a minority vote-share. I view this purely as a political issue. The basic concept of capitalism could easily be made to work for all if the corruption and tax fraud was removed.

To my mind as an outsider who has never wanted to play by either the corporate or mass-labour rules of the establishment, nor obviously those of communism, my problem with the current system is corruption and a flawed value structure rather than being conceptual. If you took the basic capitalist model but ensured those with money and power could not buy political parties (Conservative and Republican mainly, though Lab/Democrats are not in any way clean) I’d have very little issue with it.

The problem is the corruption: the fact some greasy pole climbing corporate psychopath can award themselves a multi-£million annual salary and even avoid paying tax on it if they make large enough political donations to right-wing parties to keep tax loopholes open etc. The fact such businesses are allowed to make such profits off the back of zero hour contract workers etc, again by buying corrupt conservative political parties. Same picture for environmental concerns etc.

The current system is fundamentally corrupt and entirely lacks either true democratic process or political accountability. It is all about grubby super-rich people paying grasping corrupt politicians for breaks. It is a kleptocracy, an oligarchy, and it can only survive as long as we have a system that returns entirely bent political parties such as the Conservatives or Republicans to power with a minority vote-share. I view this purely as a political issue. The basic concept of capitalism could easily be made to work for all if the corruption and tax fraud was removed.
I would still argue that the problems are structural rather than moral, that is not to deny the corruption and utter venality we live under, but that it is a consequence, and a very predictable consequence at that, of a system imposed by an ideology that allocates individual freedom and power in such an imbalanced and frankly illiberal manner to those most corrupted by power. It is a system that takes the liberal ideals of individual freedom and the greater good, and then applies it to the few while it demonises the interests of the many

The basic structures of the neoliberal model v intervention can be seen here.

52191636307_b1ee40a275.jpg

How many people really want the one on the left?

OP, what do you mean by conservative in this context - and "fairer distribution of wealth, decent social provision, a more equitable settlement, basically"?

The basic structures of the neoliberal model v intervention can be seen here.

I don’t think I accept those terms. To my eyes the left side of the chart is right-wing corruption/grift, the right side is progressive taxation and investing back in society. I see no conceptual incompatibility with capitalism, personal innovation, creativity etc.

And the sceptical might see the right-hand column as fine in theory but actually leading to more governmental control/interference. The post-war public housing boom, for example, led to the ruin of whole communities and the creation of soulless estates miles from anywhere.

I’d say that most people would want a mix of the two columns; incentives for private enterprise and better public services, rather than one at the expense of the other.

OP, what do you mean by conservative in this context - and "fairer distribution of wealth, decent social provision, a more equitable settlement, basically"?
I mean people who align themselves with a right of centre political ideology, as exemplified by, say, the Tory ‘wets’ of the 1970s and ‘80s. In the UK, that’s where the Conservative party used to be and I think it is where a lot of people who consider themselves Conservative would position themselves on a spectrum from left to right. So lower taxation, smaller state, but still state provision of key elements like healthcare, education, social security, to more or less equitable levels.

(The current manifestation of the party is an aberration, for the purposes of this thread and I don’t expect anybody whose political sympathies align as above to defend the party in its current iteration.)

In terms of the other bit, I’m talking about more state intervention, regulation, investment, to bring about a society which narrows the gap between rich and poor, by raising the standards of the poor, and providing them with the essentials they can’t provide for themselves, where necessary.

And the sceptical might see the right-hand column as fine in theory but actually leading to more governmental control/interference. The post-war public housing boom, for example, led to the ruin of whole communities and the creation of soulless estates miles from anywhere.
Yes, that is the problem, many on the right do see intervention as the slippery slope to, not just soulless housing estates, but the very gates of totalitarian hell itself. On a slightly different note, yes, some of those housing estates, especially those created under 60’s architectural trends, have created their own problems, but it is worth remembering that the initial post war housing boom was led by a desire to get rid of the old ‘back to back’ housing that my father still talks about, and not fondly.
I’d say that most people would want a mix of the two columns; incentives for private enterprise and better public services, rather than one at the expense of the other.
But the point is that under our present ideology there is no mixing. Neoliberalism was set up in direct opposition to the interventionism of Keynes and anything that smacked of the New Deal. Neoliberalism saw the right hand side of the column as The Problem, as the cause of Hitler and Stalin, as the evil to be fought on all fronts and at all costs, even if the end product was Pinochet

I have first class honours in PPE and a PhD in philosophy.

I didn't do much political philosophy, but I do remember reading Nozick at some length.

Wittgenstein, Kant + the philosophy of science and religion were more my thing.

Take me back to your room
Tie me up and strip me naked
And lie me on your floor
And then you’ll see that sex is boring with me
It’s not what i came here for

You know about hip hop and
You know about trip hop and
You know about punk rock and
You know about house music
And house music
House music is the greatest thing of all

And you’ve read more books than i
I could ever read
And you’ve seen more films than i
I could ever see so
Why is it, why is it, that you don’t know any more than me...

Mandryka, to his credit, gamely got stuck in early on, but others, such as Ponty have not so far showed any interest.

Take me back to your room
Tie me up and strip me naked
And lie me on your floor
And then you’ll see that sex is boring with me

You know about hip hop and
You know about trip hop and
You know about punk rock and
You know about house music
And house music
House music is the greatest thing of all

And you’ve read more books than i
I could ever read
And you’ve seen more films than i
I could ever see so
Why is it, why is it, that you don’t know any more than me...
What is it that you know, that @droodzilla does not?

Mandryka, to his credit, gamely got stuck in early on, but others, such as Ponty have not so far showed any interest.

What you started as a well-intentioned objective discussion has turned into another tory-bashing circle jerk, so it's hardly surprising anyone that has any Conservative tendencies stays out.

To be fair, it’s a difficult question. Modern conservatism is very much defined by what it is against, and that is *any* market intervention.

If the question is what do conservatives vote for, that is a much more difficult question because when it comes to what modern conservatism is for, it comes down to controlling inflation and promoting individual liberty, and it has demonstrably failed on both. Modern conservatism creates inflation and leads to authoritarianism. Nobody in their right mind can defend that without a compliant media that refuses to ask the question.

What you started as a well-intentioned objective discussion has turned into another tory-bashing circle jerk, so it's hardly surprising anyone that has any Conservative tendencies stays out.
No, I think the question ‘what do conservative voters vote for’ is a fair question. That is has only been answered in the negative is telling.

advertisement

Back