advertisement

Why are most comedians left wing?

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
I've got my theories but I'm about to go out, so don't have time to say what I think. Curious to hear what other believe to be the reason or reasons?

Just found out I do have a bit of time, but would rather hear other opinions first.

A good question - most of the right wingers I've known wouldn't be much good at comedy because they were generally angry people.

The comedians I like best are a-political, or at least they don't do 'political' humour, whatever their actual views/beliefs. Stuff like Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd, Father Ted, Seinfeld, Frasier. Mark Steel is very funny, but I've only really listened to his 'round the country' programmes, which are more about chatting to people than making jokes.

The comedians I like best are a-political, or at least they don't do 'political' humour, whatever their actual views/beliefs. Stuff like Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, The Mighty Boosh, The IT Crowd, Father Ted, Seinfeld, Frasier. Mark Steel is very funny, but I've only really listened to his 'round the country' programmes, which are more about chatting to people than making jokes.
Mark Steel is very funny in his ‘round the country’ guise but his politics are on the juvenile scale, his column in the ‘i’ was unreadable.

Aren’t we all forgetting just how funny full-on racism, homophobia and sexism are? Bernard Manning! Roy Chubby Brown! Jim Davidson! Nigel Farage! Tony Abbott! Donald Trump! David Starkey! The comic genius of the political right...
Bernard Manning wasn’t right wing in the political sense, he was a Labour supporter.

It’s a shame he played up the racist side of his act in his later years as he was a really talented stand up, played Vegas etc. I’m afraid he was a product of his time & playing the WM clubs.

Jim Davidson is an odious individual, especially when you consider his relative youth.

British social attitudes overwhelmingly are against poverty and favour equality - right wing comedians are left with the material that Tony describes, which is rightly considered offensive today.

The right wing mind set is a fix mentality with fixed reality based on who they copied as a child. Usually their parents or religious leaders. They find it difficult to relate to any other life experience than their own hence their ability to observe the world and see the peculiarities and complexities and find humour in that is limited.

Comedy either makes you laugh, or it doesn't. Nothing else is relevant. it's not even like music or literature, where you might not actually enjoy listening to a piece of music, or reading a particular book, but you can understand why others might.

The right wing mind set is a fix mentality with fixed reality based on who they copied as a child. Usually their parents or religious leaders. They find it difficult to relate to any other life experience than their own hence their ability to observe the world and see the peculiarities and complexities and find humour in that is limited.

And (some) left-wingers don't have a fixed reality? Oh, my aching sides.

I guess it depends what you mean by 'right wing'. Some on here would place, for example, Tony Blair firmly in that category. I 'struggle to understand' why any thinking human would regard the deaths of millions as a price worth paying for any political system, left or right.

advertisement

Back