advertisement

Why always mugs?

PaulMB

pfm Member
I've recently realised that I have never liked mugs for drinking coffee or tea. A normal, or what was once normal, cup and saucer is much more pleasant to hold and to sip hot liquids from. And does not force/encourage one to drink twice as much liquid as one really wants. So why have mugs become universal? I can understand if one is in a submarine being depth charged, or in a cold workshop, but sitting at the breakfast table? So I've ordered a pair of cups and saucers made by Apilco, France, and have been happy ever since.

Don’t even get me started on glass cups for hot drinks....work of the devil.
A pot of tea, made with proper tea leaves, not tea bags & served in a cup & saucer. As long as the cups aren’t tiny. Very nice.
But for everyday convenience, a mug of tea using tea bags is simpler.

I tend to agree. Bought a few bone china cups and saucers recently for tea drinking, and do prefer these over mugs. For coffee we have always used cups with brewed drinks, instant goes in a mug.

I am no wine expert, but I do know a thin glass is preferable for drinking finer wines.

Bloss

Mugs are easier to hold and you can put witty phrases on the side of them like "I don’t need an intelligent quote in a morning I need coffee". I haven’t actually tested this out but I also think they are less likely to break if you drop them on the floor.

Thick glazed mugs are awful to drink tea from. They cool too quick.

Fine Bone China mug for my morning tea.

White bone China cup n saucer for afternoon tea.
So both, but materials count.

giphy.gif

Cool mugs aren't a problem for me.
I boil the water and pour it into the mug to heat it up, whilst boiling more water.
Then pour out the water, insert Yorkshire tea bag.
Pour on recently boiled water and leave for 3/4 minutes.
I love really hot tea.

Ks.234... That is utterly revolting; thank heavens I've just had my TWO MUGS OF 5 TEA BREW, The mug is more functional, though I agree that it has to be china and thin. Capacity, ease of parking and carrying, stirring without slopping (though I haven't managed that yet) and less to wash up. Cup and saucer for that refined green-leaf afternoon tea or freshly made quality strong coffee (black).

I am no wine expert, but I do know a thin glass is preferable for drinking finer wines.

Thin glass is lighter, too; ideal for lighter wines.:D. I can't stand thick glass in wine glasses, and the quality glasses are always thinner, albeit more fragile after a few.

You do have the time to post on here, where is my 45 and associated goodies!

Waiting for Monday’s post collection.

All 250 arrived Thursday 12th (as advertised) while I was playing a gig.
Got home on the 13th @ 9pm because, Scotland.
Checked and approved.
Weekend, (no post).
Setup address label printing
Boxed the first 90 sold ready for ship on Monday.

Plus have you heard about this amazing new device called a mobile phone? It’s incredible. You don’t need to be in one place to be on the Internet!

advertisement

Back