Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's heard the Kii Three speakers?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Bluedroog, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Distortion is something added to the original signal,so if you compare input to output, REW ( room EQ wizard) if you want to try for yourself.
    Keith

2. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Tony, it’s about time you owned a pair of ESL’s I think - don’t you?

3. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

You haven't answered my questions. What are these distortions? If they are being added what are they, and how would the average person reading this know they are hearing this distortion you have stated in your post?

4. Purité Audio

You manufacturer amplifiers Graham, you must know what distortion is and how to measure it right?
    Keith

5. Surely if a system can not play distorted signals its failing!? Music/noise isn't just about perfect pitch/tone/clarity etc... reverb for example is distortion

6. G T Audio

You're right, I do know Keith, but it is obvious by not answering my questions that you do not know!!! You are just making statements to elevate the products you sell and put down others. If you are going to do this at least have the knowledge to back up your statements...

Maybe you could tell me this: what level of distortion can the human ear detect during the playback of music?

radamel and jackbarron like this.
  7. Purité Audio

So many variables but this video from RM is interesting, the distortion testing is some way in,

Keith

8. G T Audio

So what have you learnt about distortion from this video Keith ? Good video BTW.

9. Purité Audio

I have learnt that there doesn’t appear to be any distortion measurements for your amps Graham, have I missed them?
    I agree it is an interesting video, more information on a car tyre...
    Keith

10. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

11. al2002

al2002 pfm Member

Many closely multi-miked RCA & CBS classical and pop recordings from the 1960s were pretty poorly recorded. One could go further back in time and state that recordings from the acoustic era are pretty poor because of technical limitations. However, a poor recording can still provide immense musical enjoyment. As I type this I am listening to a reissue of the Memphis Jug Band on the Frog label. Very poor recording, loads of fun.

So poor recordings do not need to get the chop, a good system just exposes them for what they are.

P.S:- I do not suffer from a "false ontology of transparency" whatever that means.

Emlin likes this.
  12. G T Audio

Yes, you have Keith. Amplifier power outputs are all quoted at full power and at 1% THD.

The important specs and information are displayed and listed on the website. Amplifier power outputs are all quoted at 1% THD at full power. The point in the video, which you should have picked up on, is that distortion during music is heard at levels greater than 1%-3%. In fact the lowest distortion heard in the video presentation was in fact 11% (1kHz), and as high as 35% before listeners actually heard it.

Just for the record I have shown below Paul Miller's measurements (HiFi News) of the Tron Seven Phono stage. Distortion is 0.027-0.12% (20Hz-20KHz, re. 0dBV) and 25.3v output 1% THD.

[​IMG]

YNWOAN and brumjam like this.
  13. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

I've heard Kii3s at home and despite them being very good, the above is simply not true. The bass in particular has a noticeable character compared to my own speakers.

YNWOAN likes this.
  14. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

I would like to hear them with the “bottom boxes”.

Does anyone know whether they are going to be at the Hammersmith show next month?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  15. Purité Audio

16. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yes, indeed, an excellent lecture. Particulary entertaining was that it largely contradicts the “never mind the listening look at the specs” approach Keith seeks to (interminably) promote :).

radamel and G T Audio like this.
  17. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yes, that very much parallels my own experience and thoughts. Room gain (boom) was very well controlled indeed, but there was a clear character change in the bass around where the cardioid cancellation takes place. Of course this was a relatively quick home demo and more fiddling with the settings may well have addressed the above (relatively minor) issue.

18. Purité Audio

The cardioid response of both the Kiis and Dutch&Dutch are centered around the midrange.
    If I recollect you didn’t set up the kiis in the same room as your system, a direct comparison would have been far more revealing.
    Keith

19. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

But would it be too revealing I think is the question ?

.sjb

20. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

The Kiis were set up in the same place as my own speakers.
    The bass was distinctly one-note and not particularly extended versus my own speakers. Paradoxically, the bass started and stopped properly (one note bass is normally accompanied by bass overhang).