advertisement

Who's heard the Kii Three speakers?

Side by side Keith then no, but it didn’t take long to swap them over.

As I mentioned too you the Kii’s were great but lacking in one area for me. If that could be rectified i would look at them again.

They are like radiators though :D

You should only have one pair of speakers in the room at a time. This has been understood for decades now! I’ve personally demonstrated this to many folk over the years - just bringing a little guitar combo into the room and placing it between the main speakers (actually pretty much anywhere in the room) will collapse image depth etc to a surprising extent. I’d certainly not take any multi-speaker dem seriously myself as it is obvious the system will be performing below its capabilities.

When I heard the Kii Three I was really impressed. In fact, would not be averse to making an offer if I ever see a second-hand pair for sale. In a one hour listening session with a broad range of music I do not recall hearing any lack of midrange fullness. On the contrary, the Kiis sounded quite uncoloured. Can you describe what you heard and what music was being played?

Yes, you can call it uncoloured as well. There was a room in Munich, not far from Kii room. With Franco Serblin Accordo and Accuphase electronics. You could feel there artist is in front of you. Whole presentation is so natural and lifelike. Kiis on the other hand, you feel everything is all right but you still know it is like projection in iMax cinema but black and white... it is not lifelike presentation.
They play a lot of music with strong bass. I asked for Agnes Obel as I know it very well and I took my conclusions from this. I was couple times in this room during my 3days stay and everytime feeling was the same - one song and I want to go somewhere else.

I think the last two posts say it all. Specification and technology cannot influence if you will like the sound.
After my home demo i agree 100% with Kenni. Shame as i really wanted this very neat and stylish solution. Maybe the BXT box will fillout the midrange.

Good to hear that.
I also was open to them, but reality is reality and all you can do is to be honest.

Did you actually ever hear the Kiis next to your ATCs Graham I recollect ( against my advice) that you had removed the ATCs from the room?
The Kiis are really so much better in every respect than the ATC active 50’s we had here, when customers heard both they always chose the Kiis.
Keith

Customer does not always know what is the best sound.

Yes, you can call it uncoloured as well. There was a room in Munich, not far from Kii room. With Franco Serblin Accordo and Accuphase electronics. You could feel there artist is in front of you. Whole presentation is so natural and lifelike. Kiis on the other hand, you feel everything is all right but you still know it like projection in iMax cinema but black and white... it is not lifelike presentation.

That's the DSP working its magic...

To be fair to Keith I think those are more his 'out of the way when not in use' positions and not the demo positioning.

Kii three are great packages for non audiophile person. Great dynamic, great bass, can be well adjusted to the any room. They have great resolution and clarity but the lack midrange fullfilness. This makes them a bit lifeless. Something which brands like harbeth, franco serblin or graham offer in abundance.

I guess I am an audiophile vs. "non-audiophile" and the Kiis immediately demolished pretty much everything I've heard previously.

Personally I don't like the cloaked, blurred, bloated "midrange fullfilness" (sic) that you might get from the other brands you mention but then I never liked Linn Saras when I had those either... I'm a big fan of clarity and like to hear what I'm listening to. Each to his own.

I guess I am an audiophile vs. "non-audiophile" and the Kiis immediately demolished pretty much everything I've heard previously.

Personally I don't like the cloaked, blurred, bloated "midrange fullfilness" (sic) that you might get from the other brands you mention but then I never liked Linn Saras when I had those either... I'm a big fan of clarity and like to hear what I'm listening to. Each to his own.

It is not difficult for a speaker to sound better than Linn Saras.

Kii three are great packages for non audiophile person. Great dynamic, great bass, can be well adjusted to the any room. They have great resolution and clarity but the lack midrange fullfilness. This makes them a bit lifeless. Something which brands like harbeth, franco serblin or graham offer in abundance.

You don't like them, okay. But to say they are for the non-audiophile is just a ridiculous generalisation. I've had Sonus Faber and Devore speakers - neither lack midrange and are "audiophile" speakers par excellence, and the Kiis are just better. They also sound better to me with classical and with groups like string quartets or jazz trios. I don't hear any lack of fullness or lifelessness. I hear something that sounds like the real thing.

I can't argue with your taste or perception, but it is just as fair (or not) to opine that maybe you like speakers with an overly pronounced (what you call "abudant") midrange, and a speaker like the Kii that doesn't have a false midrange sounds lacking to you. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of audiophiles like that kind of sound, and we should all listen to what we like. No speaker system -even the most expensive - will please everyone.

I remember being surprised and pleased with your reaction after first hearing the Kiis, I understand completely that if a listener has become accustomed to a thicker, more congested sound then the Kiis may take some time to acclimatise to.
Keith

I remember being surprised and pleased with your reaction after first hearing the Kiis, I understand completely that if a listener has become accustomed to a thicker, more congested sound then the Kiis may take some time to acclimatise to.
Keith

and yet here on gearslutz someone also called puriteaudio suggests that the Kii midrange isn’t so natural .,

puriteaudio said:
On some programme ,electronics for example the Kiis and 8Cs are almost indistinguishable but with genuine acoustic recording, voice for example I find the 8Cs sound a great deal more natural, more ‘chest’ component to the voice and each specific acoustic is easily indentified .

I do prefer vocals on the 8Cs but it is very marginal, what both speakers offer is clarity and resolution, they make everything else I have tried here including some well respected active speakers seem slightly congested in comparison.
Once listeners hear the Kiis or 8Cs compared to others their superiority is obvious , also when you consider that both are competely full-range ,have a cardioid response , sophisticated boundary filters , totally phase coherent built in tone and the 8Cs EQ should you need it and really not that expensive when you consider they are complete systems within themselves.
Keith

A difference that is now “marginal” for Purité Audio was “a great deal more natural” for puriteaudio. Are these the same Keiths?

The 8Cs and Kii THREEs are slightly different sounding, and both have appealed to different listeners/clients, the important thing is how much better both are when compared to even well regarded traditional actives .
Keith

I do wonder if, to some extent, the varition in people's experiences with the Kii3s are like my "morning" and "afternoon" impressions during my home dem...

In the morning they sounded bland and clinical. After lunch they seemed come alive and sounded very good.
I don't think this was 'getting used to them'. I suspect the DSP is programmed to correct the response with the drive units at normal operating temperature.

There is a review in this months HiFi News. The reviewer was impressed by the resolution, flat frequency response, pair matching, and the bass extension, but thought they might be a bit too revealing of poor recordings in some systems.

IMO a good component won't be "too revealing of bad recordings", indeed they should sound better and more listenable. That's certainly been my experience, and I generally take "too revealing (edit: ) of bad recordings" to be a euphemism (I've not heard the Kiis myself so I have no opinion).

A good component should make the difference between bad and good recordings easier to hear, but that's an entirely different meaning.

I suspect we all agree about this, and this is just a case where small details in wording make a big difference in meaning.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back