advertisement

Who's heard the Kii Three speakers?

I guess the initial dealer hyperbole around these has pushed the purveyors of such BS into a corner now that an upgrade with additional 6" drivers is available? Why stick with such small drivers, I can only assume its cost driven.

More likely it was to give the BXT the same footprint as the Kii Three.

As far as I can tell from the video, the BXT will not lower the cardioid response. However, it will significantly reduce early reflections from the floor and ceiling but only up to 250 hz, but a normal room with soft furniture etc will take care of most above that. And It will inject far less energy into the listening room thereby reducing room mode problems even further. All good, it seems. Apart from the price!

I don’t expect anyone with a normal domestic sized room to need the BXT modules, perhaps if you have a larger room or if you need to play extremely loudly.
The Kiis are superb loudspeakers one only has to hear them alongside your current system for that to be blindingly obvious.
Keith

I don’t expect anyone with a normal domestic sized room to need the BXT modules, perhaps if you have a larger room or if you need to play extremely loudly.
The Kiis are superb loudspeakers one only has to hear them alongside your current system for that to be blindingly obvious.
Keith

All other systems? You've heard them all? Quite an achievement.

You have to examine exactly what the Kiis are capable of, completely full range 20Hz up, completely phase coherent, cardioid response down to around 50-60Hz
sophisticated boundary filters which allow each speaker to be placed wherever convenient and individually adjusted, baxendale tone filters , the only other speakers as advanced are Dutch&Dutch 8Cs and the Beolab 90’s.
It is just the application of ingenious design and sound engineering.
Keith

You have to examine exactly what the Kiis are capable of, completely full range 20Hz up, completely phase coherent, cardioid response down to around 50-60Hz
sophisticated boundary filters which allow each speaker to be placed wherever convenient and individually adjusted, baxendale tone filters , the only other speakers as advanced are Dutch&Dutch 8Cs and the Beolab 90’s.
It is just the application of ingenious design and sound engineering.
Keith

But Ive heard them, and none of that matters compared to how they sounded. Which was disappointing.
They're more of a system than a speaker anyway, so its only valid to compare them with other systems, not other speakers.

You have heard them in your own room compared to your own system?
Usually once heard their advantages are obvious and yes the Kiis are a complete system 12 amps,12 DACs everything is built in just add sources of your choice.
Keith

You have heard them in your own room compared to your own system?
Usually once heard their advantages are obvious and yes the Kiis are a complete system 12 amps,12 DACs everything is built in just add sources of your choice.
Keith
Not in my own room, no. But in comparison with other systems in similar rooms on the same day. They were nothing special. Given all the claims, they should work amazingly in any room, so the room is irrelevant, apparently. Given these claims, your question would seem to be irrelevant.

You really need to hear them compared to your current set-up in your own room, it is difficult to glean any really valid opinion listening independently in unfamiliar rooms.
Somewhere on the thread there is a post by Steve who compared the Kiis to his Shahinians in his own room, the Kiis superiority was obvious.
Keith

I listened to the latest incarnations at Munich this year.
I don't get them at all, at first I thought it might be the music so I waited for a quite different track, they were OK but nothing special.
They were not in the main exhibition but in a really nice room in the Marriott at one of the most prestigious hifi events in the world so presumably the exhibitors would have taken the time and effort to make sure they they were set up properly for the room.

You're comparing a system (Kii) with a pair of speakers (Shaninians). This is inappropriate, as you've already agreed.

And all the claims about being amazing in any room should remove the room from the equation. Its a contradictory message.

And all the claims about being amazing in any room should remove the room from the equation. Its a contradictory message.

Given all the hyperbole and hype one would expect any other speaker in any given room to be at a serious disadvantage!

You're comparing a system (Kii) with a pair of speakers (Shaninians). This is inappropriate, as you've already agreed.

If I recollect the same source was used for both Kiis and Shahinians, perhaps Naim amps with the passive speakers, as you state the Kiis are a complete system within themselves.
The Kii speakers/system were clearly better in every respect and yes the Kiis do reduce the contribution of the room, their cardioid response is an intrinsic part of their design.
Keith

If I recollect the same source was used for both Kiis and Shahinians, perhaps Naim amps with the passive speakers, as you state the Kiis are a complete system within themselves.
The Kii speakers/system were clearly better in every respect and yes the Kiis do reduce the contribution of the room, their cardioid response is an intrinsic part of their design.
Keith

I don't understand the ongoing contradictions.

You say the Kiis are clearly superior, but they're not, its the system that you think is superior as you can't listen to the Kiis without listening to them as a system. So its not possible to say the Kiis are a better speaker (they can't be separated from their own system) but it is possible to have an opinion that they form part of a better system. I think there are many systems which will outperform the Kiis.

Yet again the claim that the room is less important for the Kii but apparently its important to hear them in a particular room to understand the benefits?

Until these contradictions are cleared up, the discussion is going nowhere.

The Kiis are superior to any ‘conventional’ system I have heard, whatever that may consist of.
It isn’t important to hear them in any particular room, the Kiis aren’t in the least fussy, to really understand of what they are capable it is revealing to compare them to your current speakers/system in the same room at the same time.
Keith

I think you are both right.
Keith says they are the best he has heard - others say they are not.
Subjective.
Agree to disagree.
Personally, no matter how they measure or sound to Keith (or anyone elses ears) I wouldn't spend my money on them.
We all make our choices.
But Keith saying they are his reference, no matter how much he says this, isn't going to "make" others reach the same conclusion!

Kii three are great packages for non audiophile person. Great dynamic, great bass, can be well adjusted to the any room. They have great resolution and clarity but the lack midrange fullfilness. This makes them a bit lifeless. Something which brands like harbeth, franco serblin or graham offer in abundance.

When I heard the Kii Three I was really impressed. In fact, would not be averse to making an offer if I ever see a second-hand pair for sale. In a one hour listening session with a broad range of music I do not recall hearing any lack of midrange fullness. On the contrary, the Kiis sounded quite uncoloured. Can you describe what you heard and what music was being played?

I think the last two posts say it all. Specification and technology cannot influence if you will like the sound.

After my home demo i agree 100% with Kenni. Shame as i really wanted this very neat and stylish solution. Maybe the BXT box will fillout the midrange.

Did you actually ever hear the Kiis next to your ATCs Graham I recollect ( against my advice) that you had removed the ATCs from the room?
The Kiis are really so much better in every respect than the ATC active 50’s we had here, when customers heard both they always chose the Kiis.
Keith

advertisement

Back