advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not the delivery, it’s the installation that’s crucial. Especially bearing in mind the eq options available.

Not sure that is actually the reason. Only the seller knows for sure. In any case, why do you assume that a prospective buyer does not know how to handle eq/setup/room placement, etc?

NPerhaps there a is perception in the industry that the level of expertise of hi-fi hobbyists has declined to such an extent that, by default, they are assumed to be ignoramuses?

Reading the typical "high end" audiophile magazine or forum, I unfortunately find that a reasonable assumption.

Not sure that is actually the reason. Only the seller knows for sure. In any case, why do you assume that a prospective buyer does not know how to handle eq/setup/room placement, etc?
Even if a buyer did get ‘stuck’ Martijn ( the 8CS designer) would help them out.
Keith

It’s not the delivery, it’s the installation that’s crucial. Especially bearing in mind the eq options available.

Why do you assume that a prospective buyer does not know how to handle eq/setup/room placement, etc?

Perhaps there a is perception in the industry that the level of expertise of hi-fi hobbyists has declined to such an extent that, by default, they are assumed to be ignoramuses?

@al2002 How do you get here from there?

These speakers have certain features which require some extra equipment and knowledge to use effectively. Anyone can buy the equipment and learn how to use it, but there is no harm in getting some help to shortcut the process. Some people would rather listen to music than fiddle with loudspeaker measurements and parametric EQ filters.

Only the seller knows for sure. In any case, why do you assume that a prospective buyer does not know how to handle eq/setup/room placement, etc?

Where did I suggest otherwise? I said the installation was crucial. If the buyer has the knowledge to do so, then good on them.

@al2002 How do you get here from there?

These speakers have certain features which require some extra equipment and knowledge to use effectively. Anyone can buy the equipment and learn how to use it, but there is no harm in getting some help to shortcut the process. Some people would rather listen to music than fiddle with loudspeaker measurements and parametric EQ filters.

Strictly Stereo, good to hear from you. Yes, we know the 8Cs are very versatile re. setup.

I deleted that section shortly after posting, but for some reason it is still showing up in quotes. It was only partially related to this thread, which is why I deleted it. I intend to start a new thread on that topic when i have a bit of time to spare. It relates to refusal by certain manufacturers (not D&D), distributors , others in the chain to: supply info and parts, useful FR or directivity data, service information, and so on. In many instances simple queries are ignored.

Yes, I am quite familiar with the gear required to set up and optimise speakers as, I'm sure, are many other members of this forum. Many audiophile hobbyists already own and use such gear, perhaps more in the US where I am based than in the UK. In my own circle of acquaintances, almost all have some sort of measurement software and many have calibrated microphones. In my circle we are all from the Baby Boomer generation and getting on in years, perhaps things are different in younger age groups?

Yes, dealer or distributor set up assistance is always welcome, but its absence does not preclude good results.

Andrew C!: I wrote :"The seller does not offer overseas delivery, otherwise they would have been long gone."

to which you replied: "It’s not the delivery, it’s the installation that’s crucial. Especially bearing in mind the eq options available."

Your qualifier "If the buyer has the knowledge to do so, then good on them" was posted later.

Strictly Stereo, good to hear from you. Yes, we know the *C are very versatile re. setup.

I deleted that section shortly after posting, but for some reason it is still showing up in quotes. It was only partially related to this thread, which is why I deleted it. I intend to start a new thread on that topic when i have a bit of time to spare. It relates to refusal by manufacturers, distributors, others in the chain to supply useful FR or directivity data, service information, requests for parts, and so on.

I guess you didn't delete it quickly enough. A copy of your original post landed in my email inbox. I wish that it hadn't, but it did. I work in this industry so obviously I found your comment a bit offensive. I think you're wrong.

On your other point, I assume that we are talking about all manufacturers generally now rather than Dutch & Dutch specifically. That topic really belongs on a different thread, but I suspect that manufacturers don't share measurement data that they do not have, do not like or think is not relevant to the majority of their customers. The reason for their reluctance to supply parts and service manuals to potentially unqualified and uninsured repairers or DIYers should be obvious. It exposes them to massive risk.

Last edited:
Andrew C!: I wrote :"The seller does not offer overseas delivery, otherwise they would have been long gone."

to which you replied: "It’s not the delivery, it’s the installation that’s crucial. Especially bearing in mind the eq options available."

Your qualifier "If the buyer has the knowledge to do so, then good on them" was posted later.

Yup. That’s right. My experience of room correction and the calibration measurements isn’t clearly as extensive as yours. I’m not a hifi ‘ hobbyist ‘ in the sense of wanting to tinker with such aspects of equipment set up.

For the cost of these speakers, the installation and after sales support for me is essential and integral to the purchase. I’d go so far as to say I’m not the only one that thinks this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back