advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 8Cs like the Kiis straddle both domestic and pro audio, margins aren’t bad but nowhere near the ‘audiophile’ stuff, sadly!
20 Hz flat is pretty reasonable.
A 10 dB fall from bass to treble is what is usually recommended for an in room target curve.
Keith

I've heard the 8C's at a show they sounded fairly good, big sound and reasonable bass extension for the size of them. I'm guessing there is a bigger profit margin on them than traditional hi-fi separates.

Interesting that the response in room is tailored to 21Hz with a falling response of -10 dB at 20 kHz, this is the sort of response you'd always aim for with the TacT system and it always sounded the most balanced.

Is the front baffle on these speaker now cast alloy?

From

image18.jpeg.6c49f7f373ab12f2b210e7dba068a44c.jpeg

I may be mistaken, but it looks like these measurements were lifted from Mitch Barnett's review on Computer Audiophile. These are the measurements after adjustment to hit Mitch's preferred target curve. You can have them flat if you prefer or with a gentler or steeper fall off.

The front baffle is plastic (ABS IIRC).

The dealer margin is about average, which is to say better than some and worse than others. I have no idea how much Dutch & Dutch makes from each pair sold, but I doubt that it is excessive.

Yes that's correct, i've added a credit to the graph. How do they compare to the Kii's?
I think i read somewhere that these sound more natural. It seems the have a lot in common performance/soundwise with Linkwitz's designs.

You would need to hear both, ideally in your room compared to your current set-up, then you would really have a valid opinion.
Keith

Yes that's correct, i've added a credit to the graph. How do they compare to the Kii's?
I think i read somewhere that these sound more natural. It seems the have a lot in common performance/soundwise with Linkwitz's designs.

On a desk in a treated room there is little to choose between the Dutch & Dutch 8c and the Kii Three. In a typical untreated living room the Dutch & Dutch 8c definitely has the edge. Unless I am mistaken, you came to have a listen to the Kii Three at our old place in Wigan. We have moved since then and I think we may be a bit closer to you now (Mellor near Stockport). Come and have a listen to the 8c. I would love to know what you make of them.

In a typical untreated living room the Dutch & Dutch 8c definitely has the edge.

To illustrate this point, take a look at the equivalent measurements from Mitch Barnett's review of the Kii Three. So far as I am aware, both sets of measurements were taken in the same lightly treated space with "very unfavourable room ratios". Both speakers were adjusted to match the same target curve. The Kii Three's measurements are excellent, but the Dutch & Dutch 8c is even better and follows the target curve more closely.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/reviews/kii-three-loudspeaker-review-r735/

Here is the complete Dutch & Dutch 8c review for reference.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/reviews/dutch-dutch-8c-loudspeaker-review-r739/

I just had a home demo for a few days and didn’t notice any lag when changing volume via the app, which is how I controlled volume for vinyl initially. It just changes instantly. Never any lag when I’ve used Roon for volume in other setups either.

Although technically not optimal to use a DAC with volume control into the D&D8c, I found it very convenient and the sound was absolutely fantastic. It sounds great regardless of whether it’s a digital or analogue signal incoming. I had my Roon Nucleus (another marvellous product) plugged in via USB, and my phono stage went in via the AD convertor input on my Sony DAC, digitised at DSD128 rate. So both were controlled via the Sony’s volume control.

For a complete digital system for around £12k all in, the Roon Nucleus with 2TB SSD and iPad for control, with the Dutch & Dutch 8c must be the best option bar none. In my small flat I had bass flat to below 30Hz, with a purer, more real, cleaner midrange and treble than my Harbeths. I was emotionally moved by their thrilling performance and they’re just on another level.

These speakers are much better value than standard HiFi boxes and passive speakers. They can do things that the former will never be able to do. But they do require the suspension of belief in audiophile myths/ideology in favour of simply sitting and listening to the inarguable quality in front of you.

PS. I’d like to add how good Lee from Strictly Stereo was to deal with. He spent a lot of time getting the EQ measurements done and making sure everything was set up properly. Great dealer and great guy, recommended.
Hi Nagraboy - did you pull the trigger on the D&D or is it still a maybe? I would probably go down a similar path to you if I get them - either a Roon Nucleus or build my own version using an Intel NUC and ROCK. At first I would attach them to my Mytek Brooklyn.

Hi Nagraboy - did you pull the trigger on the D&D or is it still a maybe? I would probably go down a similar path to you if I get them - either a Roon Nucleus or build my own version using an Intel NUC and ROCK. At first I would attach them to my Mytek Brooklyn.

I’m thinking I’ll get a pair when I move house in September next year, assuming no annoying real-life stuff prevents me! :)

On a desk in a treated room there is little to choose between the Dutch & Dutch 8c and the Kii Three. In a typical untreated living room the Dutch & Dutch 8c definitely has the edge. Unless I am mistaken, you came to have a listen to the Kii Three at our old place in Wigan. We have moved since then and I think we may be a bit closer to you now (Mellor near Stockport). Come and have a listen to the 8c. I would love to know what you make of them.

Hi Lee, yes i listened to the Kii's in your room with the the parabolic like ceiling as i remember. Yes you are much closer to me now. When i have some time will come over and have a listen.

If you give Martijn a ring at D&D he might bring a set around to your place or at least put you in touch with the nearest retailer
Keith

Hi Keith - I already spoke to Martijn and he has offered to come to my place and demonstrate the the D&D's as we are both based in Rotterdam. See O.P. :)

The "Direct" part of the FET relates to the package,...it is a very low inductance package so enables fast and clean switching. There is a MOSFET inside the "DirectFET" package.

Hi Keith - I already spoke to Martijn and he has offered to come to my place and demonstrate the the D&D's as we are both based in Rotterdam. See O.P. :)

Say hello from me and remember to give him a nudge about the Roon integration and (if you want one) a breakout box.

If it matters, Weiss is about to introduce the DSP501 and DSP502 all-digital versions of their corresponding DACs.

The DSP versions have only digital outputs (so consequently no headphone output) with a 40bit digital volume control, thus they would be the sort of 'digital' preamplifier that is ideal for these kinds of speakers.

In a typical untreated living room the Dutch & Dutch 8c definitely has the edge.

Do you still stock the Kii3? If not, and your website suggests you don't, then this comes across as a complete shill, irrespective of whether you believe it or not.

I like having dealers on this site but it grates the nanosecond you start pushing a product you sell over one you do not. To be fair, you are not the only one guilty of this. Better by far to praise your own products without direct reference to your competitors. The rest of us can (and should) do that because we don't have to sell hi-fi to pay the mortgage.

For what it's worth, I was told the complete opposite, unsurprisingly, by a dealer who sold the Kii and not D&D. And vice versa. The only sensible thing to do is to hear both.
For what it's worth, when I was shopping for these over a year ago, I was told that the 8c would be Roon Ready in a matter of weeks. Still waiting.
I have no doubt they are superb speakers and will hear them myself in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back