advertisement

Who will service modded Quads?

Seanm

pfm Member
One of the appeals of Quad gear is the fact that Quad themselves will service it cheaply. But what about gear that has been modded? Will they touch it?

I would imagine they would either put it back to standard, at the owners cost or refuse to service it, you could hardly expect them to guarantee work they had not done.

I previously sent a Quad 909 amp to Quad for service, and one of my requests was they replace C7, C9 and C11. They did this for me but using the cheapest possible capacitors and the amp sounded dreadful. These caps are at a critical location in the signal path and frankly i don't think Quad have any clue when it comes to quality components. I will replace these again myself this time, and will use some quality Nichicon for the job.

Quad are good for finding faults and identifying problems you may have with your amp, but if you expect them to replace some parts and your amp to end up sounding better, you'll be disappointed (unless your amp is 20+ years old and then any basic cap replacement would yield an improvement).

Whats the problem with your amp?

Thanks both. Don't actually own one but have been mulling one over for some time, and recently some well-priced modded ones have cropped up.

Years ago I had a dreadful experience with Quad having sent them a modded unit.

It returned in such a state!

The new owners of Quad I know nothing about.

I can tell y ou, however, that toprepairman (Henry Dulat) has done superb work on my other heavily modded equipment, and is very experienced with Quad gear.

Highly recommended.

You can find his details by going to the community tab (above), then 'contacts'.

Best

eguth

I would hope that whoever did the mods would service them, if they are still in business.

advertisement

Back