advertisement

Who was it on 'Later' last night?

Oppala

pfm Member
Just turned over to BBC4 late last night to watch 'Later with Jools Holland', turned out to be a compilation of Folk recordings from programs over the years.

At the point that I turned over, an Irish(?) chap (w/ guitar) was singing a version of Fairy Tale In New York. It was absolutely beautiful, one of the best things I have heard from Later in many years. So who was it?

I hope I am not doing him a disservice with this description, but he was the wrong side of 50 and Dave Gilmour look-alike.

Many thx

Almost certainly Christy Moore. One of the greats.

Christy_Moore-med.jpg

-- Ian

Yes, that's him. Thanks for identifying him for me. He's added to my want list. Any recommendations for must-haves for vinyl/cd?

Oppala said:
Yes, that's him. Thanks for identifying him for me. He's added to my want list. Any recommendations for must-haves for vinyl/cd?

There are loads, both solo and with Planxty. Ride On is one of my favourites, but you can't go far wrong with any of his records.

-- Ian

I second all of Ian's recommendations but if you like live recordings, definitely go for At the Point Live. On stage the guy is real fun but can also be tender and moving.

As mentioned, Planxty must be heard too, as well as his (much younger) brother Luka Bloom.

Try to hear the self-titled album by Moving Hearts, who he sang with for a while before his solo career. Contains a good version Jackson Browne's 'After the Deluge'.

advertisement

Back