advertisement

Who remembers "Dial a Disc"?

Devonian

Pursuing my ultimate musical orgasm
Any ageing Pfm'ers out there remember dialling 16 for the Dial-a-Disc service? If so, can you remember any artists/tracks you listened to on there that may have been influential in forming your tastes in music?

My earliest memory was frequently calling the service to try and catch The Sweet's "Blockbuster" in '73 (aged 12!) ... the first band I was in to. Seem to remember annoying my parents a lot by always being on the phone! And from there I "upgraded" to 10cc! Hmmm ... good memories!

Also - just found this demo of the service plugged into an ancient Strowger exchange. How times have changed!

Yes, although 161 sticks in my mind as the number. I remember ringing up daily (it was a different hit on a loop every day) until I got Question by the Moody Blues. Then I recorded it. Why not from the radio? No idea.

Yes, although 161 sticks in my mind as the number. I remember ringing up daily (it was a different hit on a loop every day) until I got Question by the Moody Blues. Then I recorded it. Why not from the radio? No idea.
Apparently (according to t'internet!) you dialled either 16 or 160. Why not from the radio? 'Cos it was fun to use!

Not related to that, but you used to be able to dial a number in Manchester to get Piccadilly Radio - 261 from memory. I remember working one weekend and someone dialled the number on the receptionist's phone and put the receiver over the PA microphone for the day. It must have cost the company a fortune.

Apparently (according to t'internet!) you dialled either 16 or 160. Why not from the radio? 'Cos it was fun to use!
Yes, 160 now you mention it. I was probably AM radio only at that time of my life, so recording off the phone might not meant a great drop in quality!

Yes, 160 now you mention it. I was probably AM radio only at that time of my life, so recording off the phone might not meant a great drop in quality!

As long as you’d upgraded the handset cable, it would have been pretty top notch I’d imagine. ;)

As long as you’d upgraded the handset cable, it would have been pretty top notch I’d imagine. ;)
Nearly 50 years later I have the phone at home, having found it boxed up in my mother’s garage quite recently. It’s a mustard-yellow 746 - I ought to get it working. Perhaps with a dedicated landline.

Nearly 50 years later I have the phone at home, having found it boxed up in my mother’s garage quite recently. It’s a mustard-yellow 746 - I ought to get it working. Perhaps with a dedicated landline.

It is a doddle to convert a 746, you just need a 3.3k resistor (link). It should dial out on much of the BT network and will certainly ring-in.

PS You still need a modern digital phone as there is no way of navigating highly annoying corporate call-trees with a pulse-dial phone!

I remember dialling it from payphones, and you got 2 or 3 seconds free, when the pips started to put your 2p in. I never actually put any 2p's in!

Any ageing Pfm'ers out there remember dialling 16 for the Dial-a-Disc service? If so, can you remember any artists/tracks you listened to on there that may have been influential in forming your tastes in music?

My earliest memory was frequently calling the service to try and catch The Sweet's "Blockbuster" in '73 (aged 12!) ... the first band I was in to. Seem to remember annoying my parents a lot by always being on the phone! And from there I "upgraded" to 10cc! Hmmm ... good memories!

Also - just found this demo of the service plugged into an ancient Strowger exchange. How times have changed!

I only used it once or twice as a kid but I remember it well as existing yes.... and worked in the GEC factory making Strowger exchanges in Hartlepool.

advertisement

Back