advertisement

Who is brave enough to post a selfie?

My favourite Lightning video is this one, cockpit dash view during a climb. The larger gauge on the left is the altimeter, each revolution of the needle being 1,000ft. The weird looking bar gauge at the top is a combined air speed and Mach number display.

(Give the video 30 seconds or so to really get going)

My favourite Lightning video is this one, cockpit dash view during a climb. The larger gauge on the left is the altimeter, each revolution of the needle being 1,000ft. The weird looking bar gauge at the top is a combined air speed and Mach number display.

Quick enough to get to the Bear.

They used to get the odd Lightning in for a visit to Belfast Intl Airport in Aldergrove, where the RAF also had a Maintenance Unit. One of the ATC chaps there told me it was standard to give the Lightning jocks clearance for departure with an instruction 'not to exceed 30000' within the control zone please'. AIUI - the Zone extended for a radius of about 5 miles from the field :)

I took a trip to the wonderful little Bawdsey Radar Trust museum on the suffolk coast this morning as a trial to see how I’d cope before I go back to work on Monday. Surgery was three weeks ago today! All ok now I’m home, but I’ll probably need some painkillers later.

On a three-mile stroll cross-country to the Co-op, and wilfully ignoring the officious little signs that try to make you use the footpath around the perimeter of the currently abandoned golf course rather than the old route straight across the middle. Sod that.

51380136386_ec43802e0e_z.jpg

My parents have handed be a wad of old photos… me at about 9 years old

Creepy - I have seen (and some reports say incinerated) a picture of me in a very similar pose with the same haircut and also wearing (I’m guessing in your case) some kind of school outfit. My stare was possibly not quite as er, piercing, though.

And here we have… me: the Heroin years

I think I’d just joined the RAF, so 17, could run ten miles with batting an eyelid, could do a few hundred press-ups straight off, could party all weekend and catch up with sleep on Monday. But, that wasn’t a good look.

Creepy - I have seen (and some reports say incinerated) a picture of me in a very similar pose with the same haircut and also wearing (I’m guessing in your case) some kind of school outfit. My stare was possibly not quite as er, piercing, though.

Reassuringly, there are no school photos of me between First Holy Communion (aged 7 or so) and a group Lower Sixth Form photo (aged 17 or so), but there's one of my younger brother aged 13 with the same haircut and the same mad, staring eyes. Similar jumper and tie combo, too.

Here's me aged five, just after starting school

3598205917_f93ca3dcec_w.jpg
[/IMG]

I’ve found a school photo from early 1972, which would make me 15. Some serious hair going on here. That’s me in the middle.

51428027779_1d433f142c_z.jpg

This was during my first flush of gig-going, so given the year it is conceivable that the little cherub with the Lockhart locks had seen the likes of King Crimson or Captain Beefheart the night before. Possibly with my mate Paul Russell, seen on my right. I believe he became CEO of some company like Silentnight. That’s Duncan MacWilliam holding up his head behind me, and Paul Smith to his left. Rod Bushell is bottom right with the specs. He fancied himself as a guitarist and was heavily into Hawkwind. The real hairy front left is somebody Walton. Philip, I think.

Blimey, that was cathartic. For comparison here’s the same little herbert six months short of 50 years later on tonight’s walk, enjoying the evening sun and today’s ration of free fruit.

51426515172_821464bbf0_z.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back