advertisement

Who is brave enough to post a selfie?

Nice selfie, Jono. Castle Drogo is great. Are they fixing the roof leaks? Last time we went it was looking pretty distressed in places.

Been doing a lot of walking recently without a murmur - including a week's holiday up in Northumberland with the family (including the mad hound) where we spent most of each day climbing dunes, walking the beaches and generally getting a lot of exercise. Not a flicker from the ticker.

Started some very gentle jogging last week and was on session 4 this monday just gone when, 10 mins after getting home, I started to feel 'a bit shit' (that's the limit of my medical vocab). ECG at our GP showed I'd had a heart attack, one hour later I was having 3 stents fitted at Lincoln County Hospital. The care I received in the Coronary Care Unit was just the very best, the staff there are true super heroes, saving lives every day - I owe them more than I could ever repay.

Back home now, and convinced I've started rattling from all the pills.

Monday, 5 hours post-stents, sporting a nice little off-the-shoulder number:

Poorly by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

get well soon Richard

Thanks for the kind wishes everyone, it really is appreciated. Went for my first proper walk this morning (for about 10 mins - very gently!) and I'm still here to tell the tale.
Great to hear you're up and about - As a successful heart patient myself (many years ago), I really wish you the best.

Nice selfie, Jono. Castle Drogo is great. Are they fixing the roof leaks? Last time we went it was looking pretty distressed in places.

The roof is finished and the last of the 900+ windows are in place so the interiors are being reinstated at last. There's still scaffolding around the outside but there's not many blocks left to replace now.

P1000367 by Jonathan Roberts, on Flickr

P1000380 by Jonathan Roberts, on Flickr

Blimey Richard, just seen this. Glad you are on the mend.

NHS cardio care is simply outstanding. My wife had a major heart problem 2 years ago and the care that she receives weekly is astonishing. We had private health cover for decades but gave it up this year as we were so impressed with the care she gets now. Her consultant is a teaching professor and one of the leading heart surgeons in the UK.

+1 - Get well soon Gromit. The selfie is quite flattering considering the circumstances!

ECG at our GP showed I'd had a heart attack, one hour later I was having 3 stents fitted at Lincoln County Hospital. The care I received in the Coronary Care Unit was just the very best, the staff there are true super heroes, saving lives every day - I owe them more than I could ever repay.

I've only just seen this, sorry to hear of your difficulties and glad you're on the mend.

Been doing a lot of walking recently without a murmur - including a week's holiday up in Northumberland with the family (including the mad hound) where we spent most of each day climbing dunes, walking the beaches and generally getting a lot of exercise. Not a flicker from the ticker.

Started some very gentle jogging last week and was on session 4 this monday just gone when, 10 mins after getting home, I started to feel 'a bit shit' (that's the limit of my medical vocab). ECG at our GP showed I'd had a heart attack, one hour later I was having 3 stents fitted at Lincoln County Hospital. The care I received in the Coronary Care Unit was just the very best, the staff there are true super heroes, saving lives every day - I owe them more than I could ever repay.

Back home now, and convinced I've started rattling from all the pills.

Monday, 5 hours post-stents, sporting a nice little off-the-shoulder number:

Poorly by Boxertrixter, on Flickr
Still looking remarkably sharp buddy! Hope you’re on the mend, thinking of you.

Supposed to be Rick Parfitt! :D

w8KXPKm.jpg

Thanks for the 'get wells' chaps - it's appreciated. Getting there slowly, starting cardiac rehab tomorrow which I'm approaching with a mix of apprehension and positivity. :)

Thanks for the 'get wells' chaps - it's appreciated. Getting there slowly, starting cardiac rehab tomorrow which I'm approaching with a mix of apprehension and positivity. :)
Good luck with the rehab. Mr Gromit. We've a friend who's a cardiac rehab physio. Her favourite saying to patients? “I'm not paid to be nice!”

A long year of multiple surgeries but it’s drawing to completion.

EDIT: found this scan of my face used to discuss reconstruction work.

EFyTFuzW4AA4aTi

7 weeks ago I had the last of the procedures this year: facial feminisation surgery which is... intense: forehead reconstruction and reshaping, eyesocket recontouring, browline ground down: it’s a 6-hour procedure where the face is peeled off at the crown/scalp to just below the eye sockets and bone reshaped with medical grade grinders and then I am stitched back with dissolvable gripper rods under a zig-zag suture (covered by hair) alongside teeny tiny titanium screws leading to wire under the eyebrows holding it all until it heals. The nose is broken, straightened new profile and reshaped, the nostrils and other things dimensionally adjusted to be more feminine. Jawline was deemed feminine (which saved me an additional two years of orthodontics and jawline restructure), thank goodness.

I survived.

I’ll be numb in the face and scalp for about 18 months and the forehead and especially the nose will shrink as swelling reduces, can already see the results. Reconstruction surgeon has already signed me off as good to go, just keep healing. In 7 weeks a lot has changed. In a year and a half... well...

E147D26A-0DFD-4E7F-BB05-7830A1E16331.jpeg.4a5b7d0e57e1f7f1ca02c4da37ffba8f.jpeg

Last edited:
A long year of multiple surgeries but it’s drawing to completion.

7 weeks ago I had the last of the procedures this year: facial feminisation surgery which is... intense: forehead reconstruction and reshaping, eyesocket recontouring, browline ground down, the face is peeled off to just below the eye sockets and bone reshaped with medical grade grinders and then I am stitched back with dissolvable gripper rodsunder the zig-zag suture alongside teeny tiny titanium screws leading to wire under the eyebrows holding it all until it heals. The nose is broken, straightened new profile and reshaped, the nostrils and other things dimensionally adjusted to be more feminine. Jawline was deemed feminine (which saved me an additional two years of orthodontics and jawline restructure), thank goodness.

I survived.

E147D26A-0DFD-4E7F-BB05-7830A1E16331.jpeg.4a5b7d0e57e1f7f1ca02c4da37ffba8f.jpeg
Glad to hear everything has gone well for you, even if has been a long and intense journey. I hope you’re keeping well!

advertisement

Back