advertisement

Who is brave enough to post a selfie?

The Ruskies must’ve been terrified! Me, the day before I joined the RAF in 1981 aged just 17. Two years later I was working on Tornado after recruit and trade training, and a year on Buccaneers. I’d no idea what I’d let myself in for lol.

That's nice, Paul, more than a passing resemblance to James Bond. Presumably film?
Hi Toby, yes it's Fomapan 100 which has a look, a certain nostalgic glow shall we say, which I quite like. It not that sharp though.

The camera used was my Bronica S2a.

Ubjn6a.jpg

Been doing a lot of walking recently without a murmur - including a week's holiday up in Northumberland with the family (including the mad hound) where we spent most of each day climbing dunes, walking the beaches and generally getting a lot of exercise. Not a flicker from the ticker.

Started some very gentle jogging last week and was on session 4 this monday just gone when, 10 mins after getting home, I started to feel 'a bit shit' (that's the limit of my medical vocab). ECG at our GP showed I'd had a heart attack, one hour later I was having 3 stents fitted at Lincoln County Hospital. The care I received in the Coronary Care Unit was just the very best, the staff there are true super heroes, saving lives every day - I owe them more than I could ever repay.

Back home now, and convinced I've started rattling from all the pills.

Monday, 5 hours post-stents, sporting a nice little off-the-shoulder number:

Poorly by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

@Gromit - so sorry to hear this Richard. Hope you are feeling better now and that they haven't said you need to limit your physical activity going forward? My thoughts are with you mate.

Amar

Thanks Amar & Pete - really appreciate it.

Ok, I'm no Mo Farah (he's a lot shorter than me) :D but this was just so unexpected. We're not sure on the physical limitations for the future but I'm enrolled on one of the BHF's re-hab programmes which starts in a couple of weeks. I only hear good things about them so looking forward to it.

@Gromit
Blimey, have they said if this is a hereditary thing Richard, or just a lifestyle thing?

That Bob Mortimer was on the TV this morning with the surgeon who saved him, and they were talking about just this kind of thing!

Anyhow, life is tenacious. Take it easy for a bit and you'll soon be on the mend matey...

Richard , You will get better now the stents are in , I have a good freind who konked out , The hospital found a blocked artery in his neck ( 90% blocked with hard calcium )
The hospital had to drill it out through a vein in his leg , Wow its amazing what can be done , Yet we still have people who slag off the NHS

My mate is a fit as a butchers dog now and he is 73 , goes out every day speed / fast walking , I can't keep up :eek:

All the best ;)

Thanks fellas - you're very kind. So many stories of true inspiration on the www of people who've been through much the same. Taking it easy at the moment, walking a few reps of 200m or so each day is the first target and I feel ok.

To answer Paul's question re hereditary/lifestyle thing in all honesty it's hard to say. Sure I've burnt the candle at both ends at times but I've never smoked, always been reasonably fit although slightly over-weight at times too. I do suffer from shocking levels of stress/anxiety though which has made me physically sick, periods of which have gone on for months - it doesn't take much to trigger. According to the BHF the case for a link between this and circulatory problems is getting stronger by the day.

Yikes, but I'm very happy to see that you're on this side of the mortal coil, Gromit.

Speedy recovery.

Joe

Thanks for the kind wishes everyone, it really is appreciated. Went for my first proper walk this morning (for about 10 mins - very gently!) and I'm still here to tell the tale.

advertisement

Back