advertisement

Who can repair /Service R2Rs

slammed56

pfm Member
Have been trying to find a engineer to Setup and service my APR or try and get it back to factory spec (or as close as possible for a 25yo machine)
It’s looking like I’m in the wrong end of the country as most of these guys are based down south ,I will need to plan this trip out over a few days holiday
I thought I’d make a shortlist of engineers that have been recommended to me ,hopefully this might help someone that is in a similar situation to me
Would be great if anyone would like to add to the list of engineers and we could maybe build up a uk map of who is out there and who can help

Geoff Kremer,
Servicesound,
31 Turkey Road,
Bexhill-on-Sea,
East Sussex, TN39 5HB.
Tel. 01424 216245

Rod Thear
Thear Technology Limited
TTL House
Lidlington
Bedfordshire
MK43 0SF.
tel. 01525 841999

Brian Reeves (Revox)
184 Finley lane
Cheadle
Cheshire
SK8 3PU
Tel. 0161 499 2349

Stephen Bennett
Vintagetech
Peaslake
Guildford
GU5 9SX
www.vintagetech.co.uk
Tel. 01306 730453

Paul Baldwin
ReelAudio
12 Tack Lee Road
Yapton
Arundel
Sussex
BN18 0HB
Tel. 01243 553231

Iain Betson
AV Resilience,
Unit E,
The Bartonfields Centre,
Barton Blount,
Church Broughton,
Derby
DE65 5AP
Tel. 07966 239391

Clive Kavan
Ashbourne Parade
London Greater London W5 3QS
United Kingdom
tel:020 8998 8127

Iain
Glasgow Studio Electronics
224 West Regent Street
Glasgow
G2 4DQ
Tel. 0141 204 0111

Last edited:
I don't offer a full service on R2R's so not for the list really as I don't do mechanical overhauls or offer calibration with alignment tapes etc but I DO repair electronic faults such as a channel down, one channel noisy, PSU faults, repair bias oscillator and set frequency and level, adjust bias traps, repair Studer motor control boards etc etc etc which may be of some use, to especially more local customers wanting to bring a big heavy machine in in person rather than maybe drive it 200 miles away if they know the fault is not mechanical....
I also undertake custom work (as appropriate, possible etc!) such as increase or decrease sensitivity or output level or rebuild playback amp boards for better sound quality.... or if its on your "wish list" ask... you may get an answer of "that's not doable" or "if you have to ask how much THAT would cost!....." or maybe a "yep no problem" ;)

You should add Simon Griffett from Audio Related in Chesham, Bucks to the list. Simon used to head up the Sony field division in the 80s/90s and looked after R2Rs and VCR/DATS in recording and film studios across the UK. He can service pretty much any R2R. He looks after the machines in a number of top recording studios incl AIR and Abbey Rd.

advertisement

Back